« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by jnadler on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:09 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Any recent concerns, based on some past history of car break-ins at such popular photo locations such as Green Cay, Wakodahatchee, Loxahatchee, etc. Local news reports are hard to interpret as to severity of issues. I know the usual, no valuables left in car, park in main areas, etc.

by Mike in O on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:15 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Buy insurance...with the huge underclass in the USA and disparities of income, crime is endemic.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:03 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
1. Back in the day, Leonard Lee Rue III recommended a padlocked trunk, bolted to the floor board, just as he had in his Chevy Suburban (I believe). This is simply the very best idea. Yes, of course, you have to have your own vehicle (unrented) with you to do this.

2. Leaving equipment in a vehicle (even a locked vehicle) is inviting the loss of that equipment to theft.

3. Once it is lost, what good is insurance, except to cover replacement cost. My trip is still ruined.

4. I never, ever leave any substantial equipment (i.e. DSLR, lenses and such) in a vehicle if that vehicle is out of my view for more than several minutes at a time.

5. You will never, ever get a chance to put me through substantial equipment loss, because if I have expensive equipment left in the vehicle, I am merely steps away from the vehicle, or much more likely, it is right in my clear view.

6. I lug it along and just go slowly.

by LeOrmand on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:12 pm
LeOrmand
Forum Contributor
I haven't been since October - but never had an issue at these sites nor have I ever had any concerns. That being said, aside from my tripod, I always have all of my equipment with me (which is the easiest way to prevent it from being stolen).

I haven't seen anything on the Wako/Green Cay facebook page related to this - but it wouldn't hurt asking on there if you're concerned.
@JRookphotos on Instagram 

by Paul Fusco on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:09 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
What out for other photogs as well.
I was at Ding-Darling a number of years and walked away from my tripod
(nothing attached) after being distracted by some spoonbills. I was about 25 yards away but still had it in sight. A few small lens photographers went over and started eye-balling it. I had to quickly walk back and as they saw me coming they jumped into their car. The tripod was my old Gitzo 410. It would have been nice and heavy for them to try and get away with.
P
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by Rocky Sharwell on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:05 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Do not leave a popular photo spot---pack your gear into the trunk-and leave your car as you drive off with another photographer.
Rocky Sharwell

by jnadler on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:00 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
No issues except low bird numbers and diversity. Perhaps 5 inches of rain and a nearby tornado to blame.

by Dave Courtenay on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:08 am
Dave Courtenay
Forum Contributor
Only photograph in Japan, If you are 100 mtrs from your equipment the worst thing that will happen is that somebody will bring it to you, Different place, Different culture

Dave
http://www.wildlifeinfocus.com

A Brit-A Broad

8 posts |