All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's just OK, not terrible but not great either. On the 24-70, almost all of the reviews compare it to the 35 and 50 primes that it came out with and of course it doesn't stack up that well against those but it isn't that bad either. it is significantly better than the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G for example. I did a review of the 24-70 comparing it to the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 back when the lens first came out.
http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Sony ... Review.pdf

I have used the Sony 28-70 and was not impressed at all with it.

BTW, a pretty decent option is the Canon mount Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC lens coupled with a Metabones 4 adapter.

by Neilyb on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:52 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I use the 28-70 on my A7r but really only if we are going for a walk or something and I can get some family shots (which will never be viewed more than 15x10cm) which will be exported at 1500px on the long side. It is not brilliant as E.J points out but OK if you do not need to print large, I do find the 28mm f2 a better choice and makes for a small package, I often either crop in or stitch together to make up for the lack of zoom... but again, horses for courses.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:17 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
archfotos wrote:Thanks E.J. for your insights and link to your review. Maybe I should rent and see what works for me.  Let me ask 28-70 verses the 24-240 are they about the same sharpness/quality? Or will I just be better off getting the 35 f2.8 and waiting for either sony to release their 2016 lenses or hoping that Sigma brings forth an e-mount series.

I do have some adapters for my old lenses Novoflex and Metabones I would really like to use Autofocus and I can't say I've been impressed with the Autofocus through an adapter, plus I don't believe that autofocus works in video mode through an adapter(?)

thanks again for your advice
The AF on a Canon lens used on an a7R2 with a Metabones with current firmware is excellent.  If you aren't getting good results it is likely that your firmware is old

3 posts |