Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:40 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
In my D800 f7 gives you the option to lock the shutter speed and aperture settings. This same function does not appear to be anywhere in the D7200, at least I can't seem to find it. Anyone know? When I am shooting the ducks in flight at the lagoon, I always shoot manual, but I am constantly hitting the shutter speed dial and changing my settings. Is there any way to lock this in the D7200?

by Steve Cirone on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:13 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
This may sound like a joke, but through the years I have had good luck with using a small piece of duct tape on controls where I accidentally moved them.  I learned to do this back in the film days in a studio, because if you accidentally set the shutter wrong, you ended up with a half picture.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Tim Zurowski on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:02 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks Steve, I'll have to give that a try, because I am getting wrong exposures by having changed the shutter speed without knowing.

I'll assume that no responses to my question means that the D7200 does not have this feature :(

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:27 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I thought I had figured out a solution by saving the manual settings to one of the User Modes. While it does save the settings, it still allows for the wheels to be used while in User Mode and therefore doesn't solve the problem. I have seen others asking the same thing for the D750 at various other forums, but it appears that Nikon chose to remove this feature from all but the high end pro bodies. I know it is in the D800 and D810 and it was available in my D300 and D700, but it's gone now :( Looks like Steve's tape idea is still the only solution.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:59 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
1.  Where is the shutter speed dial ?  I could not immediately see it in the D7200 manual I opened off the net.  Is it that wheel on the back, just above the right thumb? That is where it is on my D610.  At least I think so :).  I use shutter priority most always.

2.  If it is the same as my D610, then yes, I can see how it is easy to change….if you do inadvertently put some pressure on it and slide the right thumb; i.e. it does not take much pressure.  

3.  But interesting that my thumb does not go quite up that far when I am shooting.  My right thumb rests down inside that nice rubbery cove or indentation below the wheel.  Of course, the D7200 is a small body, right?  Have to say Tim, I do like larger DSLR bodies.  

4.  Do you have a battery grip on it?  I have one on the D610 and I can now see that if I did not, my thumb might be up considerably farther than it is now.  The battery grip allows me to do what I want to do….move my hand down in order to grip the entire side of the piece.  I do not like gripping a body without the battery grip attached to it.

5.  If it was me, I would do exactly what Steve suggested.  I would experiment as to what type of tape to use (probably one that is real slippery or glossy on the non-adhesive back) and just pop a piece on there before each duck shoot.  Why not?  

6.  Then I would hope to train myself to stay off that wheel.  

Keep us posted.  I want to know.  In fact, before I opened NSN tonight, I was thinking that one of the things I would like to know is how Tim likes that new D7200 he got.  Or should I say, what are the one or two things Tim does and does not like about it.  

But that can wait till later.  I am curious to see if you can solve this problem you have now.

I think you will get more feedback here.  Some just have not seen the post yet.

Robert

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I have never changed the shutter speed inadvertently so it's likely something in the way you are placing your thumb. You may simply need to retrain yourself and instill new muscle memory into your hands/brain on how to hold the camera in a slightly different way - basically #6 above.

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:00 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
EJ, if you Google the subject it is fairly common problem for lots of people. Regardless, my post was not asking for how to rearrange or where I should place my thumb; rather, it was whether or not the D7200 had the shutter speed lock feature. I now know it does not, so case close. I will use Steve's tape remedy.

Last edited by Tim Zurowski on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:08 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote: In fact, before I opened NSN tonight, I was thinking that one of the things I would like to know is how Tim likes that new D7200 he got.  Or should I say, what are the one or two things Tim does and does not like about it.  
Robert, I love the D7200. In fact I like it so much I have barely used my D800 since I got it. I am trying to think of anything that I don't like about it, but all I can think of right now is that it does not have the shutter speed lock feature :)  Oh yeah, I also do not like the dial style for changing priority modes. But then this is really for another post. Why not start a D7200 likes and dislikes thread.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Tim Zurowski wrote:EJ, if you Google the subject it is fairly common problem for lots of people. Regardless, my post was not asking for how to rearrange or where I should place my thumb; rather, it was whether or not the D7200 had the shutter speed lock feature. I now know it does not, so case close. I will use Steve's tape remedy.
I have used dozens, probably hundreds of cameras and there are often things that I accidentally change due to control placement or due to my incorrect handling of the camera.  When that happens, I change the way that I handle the camera and the problem stops. In the future, I'll refrain from trying to help you solve the problem in a way that is possible rather than try to solve it in the way that you wanted it solved when it had already been established that what you wanted wasn't possible.  My bad!

9 posts |