Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Jon Sweezey on Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:08 pm
Jon Sweezey
Forum Contributor
I would like to warn the online photography community from doing business with Fstop due to their poor customer service and product availability. I recently ordered an Fstop backpack with the understanding it would be available in 4-6 weeks. Fstop charged my credit card for the backpack and shipping and then advised it will not be available until March 2016! I called the North American office to get the issue resolved but no one could help me so I sent an email to Fstop requesting a full refund and I'm still waiting for a reply... I decided to contact my credit card issuer to dispute the charge and they will reverse it because Fstop failed to deliver the ordered product. I recommend you save your time and money and do business with another company.

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:25 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
fstop's supply problems are legendary. I do think they should not charge you until ready to ship. In terms of canceling and refunds, I've never had a problem.

by Andrew Strain on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:53 pm
Andrew Strain
Forum Contributor
I've found the customer service to be very good, but can echo the supply issues.

It's unfortunate, because if you need a larger camera bag that can hold more than just camera gear, there is no viable alternative.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Any company that charges your credit card prior to within 24 hours of shipping is not a company I would do business with. Aren't these backpacks available from third party retailers that do not do this?

by OntPhoto on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:29 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Any company that charges your credit card prior to within 24 hours of shipping is not a company I would do business with.  Aren't these backpacks available from third party retailers that do not do this?

Did you know that B&H charges your credit card for pre-orders (as being on a waiting list for a yet to be released camera)?  Happened to me.

by Gary Hamer on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:37 pm
Gary Hamer
Forum Contributor
I can relate to this post...  I own 2, the Ajna and Loka.  I am a fan of F-stop Gear's packs, they are very high quality.  But with my last order for the Ajna, I waited about 3 months to receive my order.  My charge card was also charged at the time of placing the order.
F-Stop has been beat up pretty hard on their Facebook site over the last few months and I thought they were getting a handle on it.  But according to the OP, maybe they haven't fixed all the problems ... too bad.  Don't totally write them off yet, but go into the ordering process with your eyes wide open.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
OntPhoto wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Any company that charges your credit card prior to within 24 hours of shipping is not a company I would do business with.  Aren't these backpacks available from third party retailers that do not do this?

Did you know that B&H charges your credit card for pre-orders (as being on a waiting list for a yet to be released camera)?  Happened to me.
Never ever happened to me in 20 years with literally hundreds of orders.  What they do is they do a credit authorization but they do not charge.  So for one week you will see a pending transaction on your credit card but it never turns into an actual charge against your credit.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:24 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:

Never ever happened to me in 20 years with literally hundreds of orders.  What they do is they do a credit authorization but they do not charge.  So for one week you will see a pending transaction on your credit card but it never turns into an actual charge against your credit.
Exactly.  E.J. is right.

There is a difference.  B&H is not taking my money before they have the goods in stock to send to me.  At least I have never seen them try it and I know they would not.  Makes no difference because I would not let any company get away with it today.  Yes, as a young man I made such mistakes.  But not today. 

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment. :)

I do sympathize with the OP.    And thanks for the heads-up Mr. Sweezey.

by Jon Sweezey on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:59 pm
Jon Sweezey
Forum Contributor
Update: Fstop responded to my email and agreed to do a full refund to my credit card within 7-14 days

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:10 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
glad to hear it. Hopefully they learned a lesson. Yuh, I looked at their site and without taking a lot of time, it seemed to me that these guys are at the top of what they do. Maybe I will use them in the future….with caution at first, :)

Thanks
Robert King
http://itsaboutnature.smugmug.com

by Jim Zipp on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:49 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Jon Sweezey wrote:Update: Fstop responded to my email and agreed to do a full refund to my credit card within 7-14 days
That is good but still really bad business. First to charge you long before items in stock is bad enough but then to "agree" to refund you in a week or two?  No excuse to take that long and not a sign of a stable company for sure.  Too bad as that seems to happen sometimes with companies with good products but bad management.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by signgrap on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:23 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
OntPhoto wrote:

Perhaps it is due to the fact you're located in Canada and not the USA?
Dick Ludwig

12 posts |