Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:07 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Yesterday while shooting the D800 with the 600mm VR F:4 the camera was operating as normal. Then It began a  clicking noise when I pressed the shutter.
It will still send a image ( all thou complete black) to the card. Viewnx2 uploads all images even the black ones. The meter works fine and happens when my 300mmF:4 AFS is mounted and also the 24~120. Have I  warn out the shutter assembly shooting long sequences of flying and fighting eagles and Ospreys given
camera is set to FX but sometimes I'm set in DX. The camera is running 14 bit and I'm getting 42MB (FX) and 20MB (DX) .I don't think file size has anything to with the problem. Its the long sequence. A friend watched as I was shooting long a eagle sequence and said he saw the camera smoking. Have I warn out the shutter assembly? The camera will arrive at Nikon on the 23rd.

Cheers
Larry

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yup, the shutter is toast. Look inside and take some shots at a slow shutter speed and you should be able to see the problem.

by Larry Shuman on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:43 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Since I've used this camera for eagle/osprey in flight shooting long sequences-sometimes several seconds-did this show up as a busted shutter?

Thanks E, J.

Larry

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Shutters fail! Certainly lots of long bursts of continuous shutter activation is a worst case scenario but they all fail eventually regardless of how you use it. Some right away, some not for a million activation but it is a mechanical mechanism which wears out and can catastrophically stop working. Even some of the latest shutters rated for 400,000 activations can fail on day 1 or last twice or three times as long - there is a distribution around the rating.

4 posts |