All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 72 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A list of lenses that work well and not so well with the Metabones on the a7R II:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1379624

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:27 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Note there is a new firmware update today to v. 3.0.  Sony doesn't really say what's changed other than:

- Improves 4K movie recording time when using the vertical grip (VG-C2EM) or when the APS-C/Super35mm mode is activated
- Improves picture quality

As always, it's best to let the dust settle for a few days before installing.

Here's the update:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-hom ... ownloadTab

by Neilyb on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:52 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
"improves picture quality" that is descriptive.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:51 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Neilyb wrote:"improves picture quality" that is descriptive.
Yeah, they tell you absolutely nothing about what was done.  Typical Sony - they absolutely do not have any understanding of the tech savvy photographer and treat everything as if it were a $50 DVD player customer.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
At this point I'm declaring the new firmware v. 3.0 safe to install. I've had it on the camera for a couple of days and there have been no internet reports of any problems.

by Neilyb on Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:11 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Can you confirm the improvement in start up time?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:25 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It's BS and hype based on one test by one person that did it completely unscientifically. You can go find the youtube but the site that was hyping it even took it down - the difference in a single measurement was something like 0.06s which is within the margin of error for pushing the shutter button. The real area where start-up time improvement is needed is post battery change or when you haven't used the camera for a long time, then it can be as much as 8 seconds. That has not been improved.

by Neilyb on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:33 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Also seems to depend on which lens or adaptor is used. OK, good to know.

by Charlie Woodrich on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:52 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Maybe I missed it but has anyone evaluated the performance of using the latest version of the Sigma 150 macro with the latest metabones adapter on the a7R2?

by signgrap on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:22 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Charlie Woodrich wrote:Maybe I missed it but has anyone evaluated the performance of using the latest version of the Sigma 150 macro with the latest metabones adapter on the a7R2?
Charlie, I haven't done the latest version but I am now testing the 1st version of the Sigma 150 mm f/2.8.
So far it performs quite well. I have the Canon mount and it works well with Canon Extension Tubes stacking the EF 25 mm and the EF 12 mm version II.
The auto focus is just about the same as on the Canon 7D. In other words AF is good for a macro lens. This was done using the Metabones Mark IV adapter.
I tried this same 150 on my a7R with the Mark III adapter and the lens wouldn't work as it kept losing connection with the camera and wouldn't AF consistently and as a result would NOT take a photo even when manual focusing. All that said your 150 should work quite well.
Dick Ludwig

by Charlie Woodrich on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:50 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Thanks Dick! Good to know. I haven't purchased this camera yet but I want to make sure my current lenses (Zeiss 21, Canon 24 - 70 II, and the Sigma 150 Macro) will produce good quality images with this body. Not too concerned about the AF performance because generally I like to manually focus these lenses.

by Charlie Woodrich on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:24 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Just got this little beauty. Updated the firmware on the camera and the adapter. As I was going through the menu settings the LCD and viewfinder went dark and it displayed a message on the LCD that said "Camera Error".  I went to the manual and it said turn it off then on.  I did this and nothing happened so I changed the batteries (78% to 100%); still nothing.  So I reset all of the settings to the default camera settings; still nothing.  I tried changing lenses; no effect.  B&H is sending me a new one.  I searched the web and found this is not an uncommon problem. 

72 posts |