All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:14 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I have several Garmin handheld GPS units and a smartphone with GPS built in but I do not have any GPS units that are designed to be used with cameras like my Nikon D800E's or D7200.  Nikon makes a dedicated unit at something like $250 but there are several units that appear to be compatible for less than $100.  I wonder what the opinions are on these units?

This unit, available for about $56, is supplied with two cables and should be compatible with both the D800E and D7200:

Marrex MX-G20 Professional Geotagger GPS System for Nikon D7100, D7000, D5300, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3300, D3200, D3100, D810, D800, D700, D610, D600, D300, D200, D90, D4S, D4, D3, D2HS, D2XS & D2X DSLR Cameras

http://www.amazon.com/Marrex-MX-G20-Pro ... XGW9S7QMFZ

Some of the respondents indicate all day use from the battery but I wonder how accurate that is.  

So, how well do units like this work?  In order to cover my two D800E's and single D7200 I'd need three of them.

Brian

by Tombenson on Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:25 am
Tombenson
Forum Contributor
http://dawntech.hk/shop/

Smaller, cheaper, quicker than the Nikon units. And no bloody cable to break. Plus, you can still use a 10 pin release.

Order it about a month before you need it though. Takes a while to get them here. Amazon had them for a while but they stopped.

I leave mine attached full time. One on my D4, one on my D800. Never even really notice they are there.

by Brian Stirling on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:32 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
The advantages to the Marrex unit listed above is that it has its own battery and that it is usable on both the D800E with round 10pin and the D7200 with a different style connector.  The downside is that it occupies the hotshoe and that in the case of the D7200 the cable might interfere with the Arca-Swiss L-plate.  Fortunately, the D7200 will mostly be mounted by the lens so an L-plate isn't necessary.

I ordered one and will see how it works -- if it works well then 3 of them would be about the same price as the do-GPS unit and less than a single Nikon one.

Brian

by Brian Stirling on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:58 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
I just received the Marrex GPS unit and after charging put it on my camera and fired it up. Seemed to lock onto satellites quicker than any handheld GPS units I ever owned. I've had it on since 12:30 today and 9.5 hours it's still on -- hasn't been powered off.

I connected it to one of my D800E's and GPS data is being recorded as it should. I'll try the unit on my D7200 tomorrow. If all works I'll order a couple more so all 3 of my cameras can have there own.

Brian

by Brian Stirling on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Well my luck with cheap components continues and it looks like I'll be returning the Marrex GPS unit.  Yesterday I left it powered on for a bit over 12 hours and when I tried to turn it off by pressing and holding the power button for more than 3 seconds it did not turn off.  I waited a bit then tried again, still would not power off.  Over the next 10-15 minutes I tried various combinations of button presses, longer than 3 seconds, less than 3 seconds etc and finally it turned off.  I' not sure what sequence of button presses did the trick.

So, I'll be returning it on Monday and it looks like the next option, at 3X the price, is the Dawtech di-GPS Eco ProFessional M (with locking nut) for about $160 each.  I'd hoped to have the GPS before my trip to Yellowstone NP but since the di_GPS is coming from Hong Kong I don't know it will get here in time (2 weeks).

http://di-gps.com/shop/di-GPS-Professio ... al-M-PF1-M

So let's see, in the last 10 days I've ordered, received and had to return a Movo gimbal head and now a Marrex camera GPS unit.  Saving money can be expensive!

On the upside, the di-GPS unit doesn't use cables so it will not be so easily damaged.  The unit listed above will work for the D800E's but a different model is needed for the D7200 -- not sure I want to attach that to the D7200.

http://di-gps.com/shop/di-GPS-Prosumer/ ... mer-PS10-M

Brian

by Brian Stirling on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:49 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Tombenson wrote:http://dawntech.hk/shop/

Smaller, cheaper, quicker than the Nikon units. And no bloody cable to break. Plus, you can still use a 10 pin release.

Order it about a month before you need it though. Takes a while to get them here. Amazon had them for a while but they stopped.

I leave mine attached full time. One on my D4, one on my D800. Never even really notice they are there.
Thanks Tom, I gave the Marrex unit a go hoping it would do the trick at 1/3 the cost but such was not the case.  So, earlier today I ordered three of the di-GPS units -- two for my D800E's (Eco ProFessional M (with locking nut)), and one for the D7200 (Eco ProSumer M).  Since I'm still planning to go to YNP in a couple weeks I opted for the expedited shipping instead of the standard free shipping.  FedEx indicates delivery this Wednesday -- we'll see.

Now if only YNP can break free of the smoke from the many wildfires from WA, OR and ID.

Brian

by Brian Stirling on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
OK, so I ordered on Sunday afternoon and since there was a lot of talk about it taking a long time I opted for the expedited shipment and I received them today -- two days in transit.

I installed all three units and tested them -- they all work.

I did find the fit with the 24-120 VR lens is real tight and there is reference to the Tamron 24-70 lens being unusable with the di-GPS ECO PRO.

The unit for the D7200 plugs into the side and might be at risk of being damaged or damaging the port connector if bumped, but I have a RRS L-plate and after installing the GPS unit I reinstalled the L-plate and slid it into position to just clear the GPS unit so the L-plate winds up providing protection for the GPS unit.

Brian

7 posts |