Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:20 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I finally did it.  After close to 30yrs, I have a gitzo that needs repair. The carbon fiber leg seems to have separated from the metal socket that holds it to the tripod spider.  Suggestions as to who to send it to or a good glue?

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:40 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here is a link to a company that carries adhesives for carbon fiber:

http://www.dragonplate.com/

It is listed under adhesives in the product section. There is a thread on this that I will post a link to in a minute. Don't use quick set epoxy, since the heat generated can harm the CF.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:45 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here's the link to the thread that talks about repairs:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 7&t=224416

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:45 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
thanks for getting back to me. I'll check into the glue as well as sending to gitzo repair facility in AZ. I'll let you know how it goes.

by djmoll on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:18 pm
djmoll
Forum Contributor
I had a Gitzo tripod leg socket go bad because of seawater corrosion. The carbon fiber was not affected by the seawater, but the metal (probably magnesium or aluminum) corroded, swelled and caused delamination of the carbon tube.

I simply purchased a replacement leg section (which included the metal end fitting) from Gitzo.  Cost was reasonable, I did not have to ship the tripod to Gitzo, and I didn't have to wait for factory repairs.

You can purchase any replacement part from Gitzo and simply replace the damaged part yourself.

David

by Wildflower-nut on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:18 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Where do you get the parts?

by han on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:12 pm
han
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:Where do you get the parts?

I have gotten mine from www.gitzospares.com   

Really fast in shipping and way more affordable compared to my local distributor. I bought screws and single sections and practically got a brand new 3541XLS. 
[url]http://www.tripeaksimagery.com[/url]

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:21 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I sent it in to factory repair (Manfrotto Service @ CRIS) here in the states. Simple glue job, no parts required. Had it back in 10 days from date shipped until date received back. No charge except for initial shipping. We'll see but I can't complain about the service.

by OntPhoto on Sat May 28, 2022 6:13 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Bookmarking this as I fianlly lost one part of a Gitzo tripod leg.  The bottom part of my old 3530 LSV carbon-fibre probably unscrewed and fell off.  I would notice except it likely fell off as I was carrying it over the shoulder.  Is GitzoParts an official reseller of Gitzo parts?

Ooops.  It's actually the 3530 LSV carbon-fibre right on the sticker. 

Last edited by OntPhoto on Sun May 29, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 28, 2022 9:06 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Is this what you need?

https://store.naturescapes.net/gitzo-tr ... ment-feet/

Joe

by OntPhoto on Sat May 28, 2022 9:26 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Is this what you need?

https://store.naturescapes.net/gitzo-tr ... ment-feet/

Joe
Not just the feet but that section of the tripod leg.  It unscrewed and dropped somewhere. 

by photoman4343 on Sun May 29, 2022 10:12 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I am glad I read this as I have a Gitzo G1325 carbon fiber tripod that needs a set of bushing rings so I can replace the ones on the tripod. Some of the leg sections are hard to move once the locking knobs are loosened. Given all of the rings listed at www.gitzospares.com for this model, I am somewhat intimidated in replacing them all by myself. I might just send it in to Manfrotto and let them replaces all of the bushings.
Joe Smith

by SantaFeJoe on Sun May 29, 2022 10:22 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
photoman4343 wrote:I am glad I read this as I have a Gitzo G1325 carbon fiber tripod that needs a set of bushing rings so I can replace the ones on the tripod. Some of the leg sections are hard to move once the locking knobs are loosened. Given all of the rings listed at www.gitzospares.com for this model, I am somewhat intimidated in replacing them all by myself. I might just send it in to Manfrotto and let them replaces all of the bushings.
There are actually only 6 bushings. They are simple to replace. The cost of these is far less now that they are readily available (site you mention). They used to cost a fortune for several years. If they are the same material as the original bushings, be careful not to get them wet or they swell up and bind.

https://store.naturescapes.net/gitzo-ca ... shing-set/

This is a good article on maintenance:

https://www.naturescapes.net/articles/reviews/gitzo-tripod-maintenance-guide/

Joe

by OntPhoto on Sun May 29, 2022 9:12 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
The tripod is a Gitzo 3530 LSV carbon-fibre 6X model.  It may go back to 2008 so maybe 15 years ago.  Quality lasts.  Human error equals missing parts. I will find out soon but does anyone know if Gitzo stocks legs from older models?  Just the lower part is missing.

UPDATE:  I guess they do.  Gitzo 3530 LSV lower leg assembly  I'll probably have to buy the bushing as well but will see if it's the new type orf old type that swells up.  Beats having to buy a new Gitzo.   And Joe, thanks for the link.  

by SantaFeJoe on Sun May 29, 2022 9:31 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The 3530 uses the newer style bushings that can handle water. BTW, the 3530 LSV is the video version of the 3530 LS.

Joe

by OntPhoto on Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:02 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Fortunately the replacement lower leg section comes with the bushing and the foot included.  They know what you're looking for.  If a customer loses the lower leg section, they probably need the bushing and foot as well.  Already shipped with delivery in a couple of days.  And they charge in Canadian Dollar if you are ordering from Canada.  A few shipping options as well. 

"The difference between Manfrotto Spares and Gitzo Spares… nothing, they are different brand homepages of the same UK Videndum distributor also known as S1 Studios.  They are a pure ‘parts only’ distributor for Videndum Italy."

16 posts |