Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by 06Honda on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:35 am
06Honda
Forum Contributor
I am heading to Newfoundland in a couple of weeks for some photography and was looking at the carry-on bag size limit of 21in x 9in x 15in that is suppose to fit easily into the carryon bag mockup frame when checking in. Does this apply to a bag of camera gear and if so is there a hardcase IE: Pelican brand etc that would work to gear 2 x Nikon bodies on; 1x 80-400VR lense; 1 x landscape lense and a few odds and ends. Thanks for any info.

by Steve Cirone on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:39 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Hi Paul,

Sounds like a fun trip.  As sort of a qualifier on this matter, I have tons of photo gear and a massive collection of photo travel bags for myself and my wife.  Personally, I think my heavy hard Pelican cases are best as checked baggage.  For your gear collection in a carry on bag, I suggest a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60.  Its dimensions are within the allowed sizes you stated.

The bag is very versatile and has a shoulder strap.  It will easily hold all the loot you mentioned and more.
The Urban 60 bags are the ones I slid over the handles of my photography roller bags.

I find the most useful things on trips are my iPod full of my music and a nice pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones.  I also love my Mountain hardware compressor jacket that goes into an eagle creek micro backpack.  I can use it as a pillow, for warmth if I get cold, as a lumbar support, a butt cushion.  Pretty versatile.

Many things I have to charge up at  the end of the day.  iPod, cell phone, camera batteries, flash batteries, laptop.  All times 2, as my wife has all the same stuff.

I carry 4 of these wall socket expanders.  They are fairly lightweight and a set of 4 only runs about $25 on Amazon:
Here's a quick link if you want to get some:  http://www.amazon.com/Globe-Electric-46 ... B007XQORTO

Cheers, and Happy Trails!
Steve Cirone

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by ronzie on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:54 pm
ronzie
Forum Contributor
One thing to think about carrying all that expensive gear is a loss rider on your home or other insurance. Damage may not be covered if attached to a home owner's policy but theft and loss is. Total loss due to dropping it forever in a river might be covered.

With that inventory especially two cameras your agent may ask if you are commercial. Just stand your ground that you are serious enthusiast and use two cameras for quick changes in action nature photography.

Home owner's personal property riders are not very expensive. Be sure you have sales receipts with serial numbers for your inventory of more expensive gear.

3 posts |