All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:16 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Prior to the Canon 7D2 and Nikon D7200, the Pentax Ke was arguably the best APS-C DSLR on the market although in the USA they had nearly zero market share.  Today Pentax has introduced a 2nd generation K3 with a lot of features for the money, including high resolution pixel shift mode:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/847176 ... ution-mode

by Mike in O on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:54 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
You may want to correct spelling of Pentax in title...on paper, they are amazing bodies, sometimes lacking in CFocus and lens selection.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:30 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002

by Wade Thorson on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:24 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
What's odd is that they omitted the pop up flash, instead they replaced the unit with a GPS and not a wireless option aside from the Flu Card. Although I eventually moved to Nikon FF, I still love and have all my Pentax gear. I just got a K3 that I found for $700. It's a perfect combination of size, features and weather sealing that I can take backpacking. I'm not in want for any lenses, but their FF camera appears to have some gaps that they're still working on filling.
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by aekn on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:45 pm
aekn
Forum Contributor
I recognize how many people on this forum need super teles and other exotic lens configurations which are still a Pentax weakness, but I can't think of another manufacturer that offers a more naturephotography-centric camera lineup than Pentax.  Features that we outdoor types use like weather-sealing, magnesium construction, mirror lockup, microfocus adjustment, advanced leveling, GPS, astrotracing, and now pixel shifting for high resolution.  Not to mention great ergonomics and lightweight, compact size.

Given Canon's continued weakness in sensor design and Nikon's struggles with QC issues, I would have thought Pentax (Ricoh) would have gained some ground recently.  They certainly deserve to, in my mind.  Maybe the K-3II, 645z, and future full-framer (with a complementary lens line) will bring them some significant success. 

5 posts |