« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 20 posts | 
by Kari Post on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:46 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
Lately I find that most of my shooting happens on the go or not at all (mostly not at all these days). I don't have much time to plan out photo shoots, so my best bet of getting images is bringing along my gear with me on outings that might not be specifically photo oriented, but certainly have the potential for good subjects and good light.

I've tried a variety of photo backpacks but find that taking the time to take off the backpack and remove my gear sometimes disrupts the flow of whatever activity I am involved in just a bit too much. If I'm in a spot that allows for it, I do much better shooting often when I have my camera slung over my neck, but I can't stand it swinging around so I am usually holding it with one hand. I'd really like to find a solution where I can have both hands free but have the camera in front of me and ready to go. Even better would be something that can keep the camera snug to me while on the move and then allow me to grab-and-go when shooting.

Has anyone tried the Cotton Carrier systems with much success? Is there any other product out there that might work? Ideal would be something that I can wear in front of me while wearing a backpack (such as when backpacking) and something that would prevent my camera from being jostled if I'm running or riding a bike.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences!
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

by Mike in O on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:27 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The CC works great...the only downside for me (not the carrier's fault) is nose droop with my 70/400. If you use a heavy lens, it attaches comfortably on the tripod hole with 2 different angles of attachments (normal camera and one with grip). Make sure you have a strong mount if you hang a heavy lens ( I understand Nikon mounts may not be the strongest).

by aholman1351 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:50 pm
aholman1351
Forum Contributor
I have been using the Cotton Carrier including the side holster for a second camera for 2 years  and have found it to be a great solution for hiking with 1 or 2 cameras. I had also tried using a backpack but was missing too many shots in the time it took to extract gear that I needed.  Carrying  a loose camera via regular strap also created a problem when hiking in rough or steep terrain.  The CC has solved all that by being readily accessible and not in the way when hiking.  I have even been able to use it with the Tamron 150-600 but have to be mindful of the weight when using.

by ChrisRoss on Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:58 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
What lens are you carrying? If you are just carrying the camera/lens and maybe a water bottle of other light equipment a belt pack is a good solution. I have the Think Tank digital holster, the 50 model to carry my 1D4/300mm f4/1.4x combo and that works quite well, lift the flap and pull out the camera. There are various sizes available

It won't work with a heavy pack that also has a waist strap, unless you could adapt the holster to the pack's waist strap and not sure how it would go on a bike.

The advantage is you carry the weight on your hips and also if it's warm you stay cooler without a backpack. I normally have a LowePro water bottle carrier and a pouch or two attached to the other side of the belt to carry other stuff.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Dave Kocher on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:07 pm
Dave Kocher
Forum Contributor
Take a look at a Think Tank Holster Camera Bag:
thinktankphoto.com
They come in three sizes, and can accommodate shorter or longer lenses.
Very comfortable, I keep the camera in the holster and the strap around my neck, and just pull the camera out when I want to shoot.  Rest of the time I have my hands free.

by whitehead on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:40 pm
whitehead
Forum Contributor
I use the Think Tank Holster Camera Bag also. Well made well thought out, protects the cam from hazards and sweat, and can handle an 80-400 with relevant ease

by Kari Post on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:34 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Thanks all for the suggestions and insightful feedback. I think something I can wear on my chest is the best solution. I had tried a Think Tank belt system before and felt that longer cases dangling from my waist hindered my leg movement too much. I'm fairly active and have always found that items worn around my core (back in the case of a backpack) tend to be the most stable of the carrying systems I have tried. The Cotton Carrier systems seem to be the most obvious solution, as a bag that is big or bulky is one I will just leave at home and I am not concerned about padding or protecting the camera much if it is on my person.

In theory, I'd be interested in pairing whatever carrying system I am using with lenses ranging from wide to short-tele zoom, a 17-40, 28-70, or 70-200. I don't think I'd ever use it for anything larger than a 400 5.6, but realistically a 70-200 f/4 is the largest, and 90% of the time I'd be using a normal to mid-range zoom. On my non-photo trips it would probably be a one camera and lens set-up with either a 17-40, 28-70, or fixed 50.

by Mark Picard on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:54 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Kari, check out the LowePro Top Loader pack. It holds my camera body connected to a 70-200mm, or a 80-400mm, plus a wide angle lens in the small front pouch. I have mine set up so that I can easily wear it while riding (and pedaling)  my mountain bike. The main carrying strap goes around my neck, while a second strap (added by me) connects to the side D rings and goes around my chest to prevent that swinging you talked about. The camera is quickly accessed and removed for shooting through the zippered top.It comes with a waterproof cover that's hidden away until needed.When you want to just hike with this setup, remove the second chest belt and throw it over your shoulder where it will rest comfortably behind you.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by mortsgah on Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:00 pm
mortsgah
Forum Contributor
Check out Mind Shift. Its a backpack that has a integrated fanny pack that swings to the front while the backpack is still on your back. Kind of pricey and maybe overkill if you are just out with your camera, but I find it useful for hikes where I need storage for jackets, food, etc. Plus your photo gear is protected from the elements if needed.

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/

They have a smaller bag, but I found it too small for larger DSLR and Lens.
erik
http://www.erikhagstrom.com

by Primus on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:29 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I bought the Cotton Carrier, but could not use it at all, the camera kept getting stuck in the slot. It is also cumbersome when you have to slide the unit back into the holder, if you stumble while the camera is in your hands it's a problem.

After trying many systems including the Kinesis belt pouches, I've settled on the Black Rapid. I have carried two cameras - the 1DX and the 6D, with the 70-200 on one and 24-70 on the other for hours while in the field, simply standing or walking about. The cameras hang on the sides, can be easily adjusted to balance one another and leave both hands free. You can change cameras in under one second, simply dropping one and picking up the other, no need to twist and remove and then put back. No worries about dropping the whole thing while out of the holder. In one workshop I had the wildlife running towards me, I shot with the 70-200 initially and instantly switched to the 24-70 on the other body without missing any of the action. Cannot do that with the CC system. 

However, you do have to be aware of walking past rocky obstacles or sitting down as the cameras are on the side and if you are constantly getting in or out of a car seat it can be a bother.

Another advantage is that your camera is not staring at everyone and having it hanging to the side with your hands partially covering it does help - it does not scream 'expensive'.

Combining the twin Black Rapid with a small backpack like the F-stop for lenses and accessories takes care of pretty much everything.

Just my thoughts.

Pradeep

by Anthony Medici on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:03 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I'm using a Black rapid wrist strap attached to a D-Ring on my backpack if I want a camera out and ready. If not, the camera is in the backpack and out of the way. (I have a 1" Clamp on the strap so that I can get the camera on and off quickly.)
Tony

by Iain Campbell on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:13 pm
Iain Campbell
Lifetime Member
Member #:01718
aholman1351 wrote:I have been using the Cotton Carrier including the side holster for a second camera for 2 years  and have found it to be a great solution for hiking with 1 or 2 cameras. I had also tried using a backpack but was missing too many shots in the time it took to extract gear that I needed.  Carrying  a loose camera via regular strap also created a problem when hiking in rough or steep terrain.  The CC has solved all that by being readily accessible and not in the way when hiking.  I have even been able to use it with the Tamron 150-600 but have to be mindful of the weight when using.

I was thinking of using this side holster system with the new canon 100-400 and a 5Diii. Would I need to mount it on the lens mount or onto the camera?

Thanks,
Iain

by aholman1351 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:21 pm
aholman1351
Forum Contributor
Iain Campbell wrote:
aholman1351 wrote:I have been using the Cotton Carrier including the side holster for a second camera for 2 years  and have found it to be a great solution for hiking with 1 or 2 cameras. I had also tried using a backpack but was missing too many shots in the time it took to extract gear that I needed.  Carrying  a loose camera via regular strap also created a problem when hiking in rough or steep terrain.  The CC has solved all that by being readily accessible and not in the way when hiking.  I have even been able to use it with the Tamron 150-600 but have to be mindful of the weight when using.

I was thinking of using this side holster system with the new canon 100-400 and a 5Diii. Would I need to mount it on the lens mount or onto the camera?

Thanks,
Iain

I mount everything on the camera rather than using a lens mount which does not balance as well.  I find the holster better for a shorter lens-I use with the -anon 16-35 or 24-85 and use the main mount for a 70-300 (frequently) or Tamron (more occassionally depending on the setting).  It is important to check tightness of the mounting screwnut on each camera but I have not had many issues in many hours of use except when I sit down and have to remember to take off the camera on the holster,.

by Mark Picard on Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:34 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Mark Picard wrote:Kari, check out the LowePro Top Loader pack. It holds my camera body connected to a 70-200mm, or a 80-400mm, plus a wide angle lens in the small front pouch. I have mine set up so that I can easily wear it while riding (and pedaling)  my mountain bike. The main carrying strap goes around my neck, while a second strap (added by me) connects to the side D rings and goes around my chest to prevent that swinging you talked about. The camera is quickly accessed and removed for shooting through the zippered top.It comes with a waterproof cover that's hidden away until needed.When you want to just hike with this setup, remove the second chest belt and throw it over your shoulder where it will rest comfortably behind you.
Kari - I forgot to mention that this setup rests comfortably right in front of you (adjustable) between your waist and your chest. The zipper is at the top for easy, really quick access to your camera with your lens attached. While mountain bilking you hardly know it's there. And your knees don't hit the pack while pedaling either. Here's the link: 

http://store.lowepro.com/toploader-pro-75-aw-ii
Mark Picard

by Kari Post on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:39 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Mark, others have mentioned the Top Loader to me before but I appreciate you sharing your experiences with it - especially while biking! I'll try to see if I can get a look at one in person one of these days.

Erik, thanks for the suggestion. I remember seeing that style of bag some years ago and while I like the concept behind it I found that the slide out compartment didn't slide out all that easily (the design may have improved since then). I currently have a Lowepro Flipside Sport AW (I think the 15L version) which is a great bag, but the action of swinging the bag around (a bit different than the Mind Shift bags, but same amount of time) is not as "go friendly" as I want. What I'm looking for is really as quick as the action of pulling an iPhone out of my pocket!

Pradeep and Tony: I have a Black Rapid camera strap and its definitely more swingable than I'm looking for. Sure its fine walking on level terrain, but it won't stay put while running or scrambling uphill. We have a lot of rock scrambling here in the northeast (which is when I most like to use my hands for balance). I haven't tried an jerry-rigged wrist strap options though.

Thank you everyone!

by OntPhoto on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:26 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I used a Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW when I was heavily shooting the 100-400L IS. I needed something that gave me quick access to the camera. I slung it over a shoulder. It fit a DSLR and 100-400L IS really well. I even managed to put a DSLR and 400 5.6L in one but the top lid was hard to close and balance was not good.

I stopped using one when I went to a backpack which I much prefer over a lop-sided Toploader slung over a shoulder.

by Vivek on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:26 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
The CC is a system you really *must* try before committing to it. In theory and in the videos it looked great and so I bought it. After using it for a week or so, I determined it was not for me. Too clunky and not right for me but I have friends who swear by it. I think the reason was that I don't like my body tightly compressed (by the CC) with heavy weight in front. I am more used to backpacks and just could not get used to the CC. I tried to use it with 7D and 400 5.6.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Primus on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:37 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Vivek wrote:The CC is a system you really *must* try before committing to it. In theory and in the videos it looked great and so I bought it. After using it for a week or so, I determined it was not for me. Too clunky and not right for me but I have friends who swear by it. I think the reason was that I don't like my body tightly compressed (by the CC) with heavy weight in front. I am more used to backpacks and just could not get used to the CC. I tried to use it with 7D and 400 5.6.
I agree, it was not for me either.

The main thing to remember is that you cannot quickly swap cameras with the CC system, so if that is the need of the day it will not work. 

Kari, I agree, BR is a strap hence the swinging motion and risk of hitting the camera on rocky outcrops in rough terrain. No strap design would work in this setting and the only option is something that tethers the camera close to your body (front or back) without any motion away from the body at all. That would mean either a backpack or the CC.

Pradeep

by Mark Picard on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:03 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Primus wrote:
Vivek wrote:The CC is a system you really *must* try before committing to it. In theory and in the videos it looked great and so I bought it. After using it for a week or so, I determined it was not for me. Too clunky and not right for me but I have friends who swear by it. I think the reason was that I don't like my body tightly compressed (by the CC) with heavy weight in front. I am more used to backpacks and just could not get used to the CC. I tried to use it with 7D and 400 5.6.
I agree, it was not for me either.

The main thing to remember is that you cannot quickly swap cameras with the CC system, so if that is the need of the day it will not work. 

Kari, I agree, BR is a strap hence the swinging motion and risk of hitting the camera on rocky outcrops in rough terrain. No strap design would work in this setting and the only option is something that tethers the camera close to your body (front or back) without any motion away from the body at all. That would mean either a backpack or the CC.

Pradeep
Kari - this is getting WAY to complicated! Check this out:  http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/ ... ss-v2.aspx     This is basically what I use with my LowePro  - I use the supplied belt from the LowePro over my neck, then I used another strap off another camera bag I had to go around my waist/chest to prevent any swinging.  Of course you can just get this harness from Think Tank (including their version of the LowePro Top Loader too). This system works!   NO swinging!'Nuff said! 
Mark Picard

by sdaconsulting on Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:28 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
Rather than buying a holster to try and facilitate carrying and using your camera more often I have another suggestion.

If you don't have the need for really wide or longer focal lengths, I find carrying a Sony RX100 in my pocket makes me take a lot more pictures. And it doesn't intrude, so you can take it everywhere, all the time.

The image quality below ISO 800 is a LOT better than I would have imagined, fully comparable to my 2011 vintage Sony Alpha 65 dSLR. It's absolutely far, far beyond "compact camera quality".

If I am not specifically going somewhere for photography, I bring the RX100M2 and leave my big, heavy, bulky gear behind and the IQ of the pictures I get in the 28-100mm range are very much comparable to my bigger camera and midrange zoom lens.

Even if I do go hiking specifically to take pictures, I often just hang my Alpha 65 and an ultrawide or a telephoto zoom around my neck, and rely on the RX100 for medium focal length coverage, just because I don't feel like toting a bag full of lenses and the time and bother of getting the pack off my back etc.

You can pick up an RX100M1 for $270 or so on eBay and a M2 (with the tilting screen) for around $370. I'm not interested in the M3 as the lens only goes to 70mm equivalent and I use my M2 at 100mm all the time.

You won't ever catch me carrying around my dSLR gear anymore unless I'm deliberately going somewhere for photography. Just far too much pain, and not much gain.
Matthew Cromer

20 posts |