All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 680 posts | 
by Doug Brown on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:53 am
Doug Brown
Forum Contributor
Member #:01836
Here's an ISO 6400 shot. As long as you get it right in camera, you can make it look pretty good in post. Click on the image to see a larger version.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:07 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Doug Brown wrote:
Here's an ISO 6400 shot. As long as you get it right in camera, you can make it look pretty good in post. Click on the image to see a larger version.

Can you post a 100% crop?

by Doug Brown on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:20 pm
Doug Brown
Forum Contributor
Here's a 100% crop taken from the RAW file in DPP along with the NR settings I used. Click on the image to see a larger version.

by KClarke on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:41 pm
KClarke
Forum Contributor
MalcolmBenn wrote:
KClarke wrote:Here's a 60% crop of a burrowing owl.
Very nice .... can you supply the shooting details.
500mm Mk I at 1/4000s, f/5.6, ISO 800

by Andre Silva on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:47 pm
Andre Silva
Forum Contributor
Amazing shot Doug. Please post more photos when you have the time. I'm really appreciating your photos.

by Andre Silva on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:50 pm
Andre Silva
Forum Contributor
Doug Brown wrote:

Amazing Doug. Please post more photos when you have the time, I am really enjoying your 7D2 findings!

by John Guastella on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:26 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
This is a MAJOR problem as i don't have the feedback on exposure easily viewable.
Well, that's disappointing.  I wonder what their reason was for redesigning and repositioning the scale?  What has replaced it at the bottom of the viewfinder image?

John

by Neilyb on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:48 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
John Guastella wrote:
This is a MAJOR problem as i don't have the feedback on exposure easily viewable.
Well, that's disappointing.  I wonder what their reason was for redesigning and repositioning the scale?  What has replaced it at the bottom of the viewfinder image?

John
http://www.hdcamteam.com/wp-content/upl ... finder.gif

by Vertigo on Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:02 pm
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
Doug Brown wrote:Here's an ISO 6400 shot. As long as you get it right in camera, you can make it look pretty good in post. Click on the image to see a larger version.
Nice example, which advocates that proximity from the subject is the main factor of S/N ratio. If the bird is close, you can go as high as 6400 iso. If the bird is far and you need to crop, iso 800 might be a maximum.

by rnclark on Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:15 pm
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Vertigo wrote:
Doug Brown wrote:Here's an ISO 6400 shot. As long as you get it right in camera, you can make it look pretty good in post. Click on the image to see a larger version.
Nice example, which advocates that proximity from the subject is the main factor of S/N ratio. If the bird is close, you can go as high as 6400 iso. If the bird is far and you need to crop, iso 800 might be a maximum.
That's the inverse square law working.

by Gary Irwin on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:58 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Vertigo wrote:
:lol:  So true! If I could just get close all the time all I'd need is an iPhone.
Gary Likes Nature.

by Steve Cirone on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:22 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Here is a link to many images of birds in flight I did in the last several days with my new Canon 7D Mark II:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99881018@N03/

Mostly ducks in flight.  From Santee Lakes California, San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary, and Bolsa Chica.  I had my Nikon D 800, Nikon D 7100 (loaner), my Canon 1D Mark IV along for the test too.  Last place for birds in flight performance in my testing was the D 800, next was the D 7100, Canon 1D Mark IV, and tops was the new Canon 7D Mark II.  Its focusing strength is so good it makes it almost no challenge to get boatloads of sharpies of BIF.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by rnclark on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:39 am
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Steve Cirone wrote:Here is a link to many images of birds in flight I did in the last several days with my new Canon 7D Mark II:

Mostly ducks in flight.  From Santee Lakes California, San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary, and Bolsa Chica.  I had my Nikon D 800, Nikon D 7100 (loaner), my Canon 1D Mark IV along for the test too.  Last place for birds in flight performance in my testing was the D 800, next was the D 7100, Canon 1D Mark IV, and tops was the new Canon 7D Mark II.  Its focusing strength is so good it makes it almost no challenge to get boatloads of sharpies of BIF.
Thanks Steve.
Great images!  Many people just do side views of BIF, which is really not a problem for an AF system.  Your images, with birds coming at the camera is a much harder test.  Well done and great light too!  It really shows the AF system is doing an amazing job.  That is good news.

Roger

by fredcor on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:13 am
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Steve Cirone wrote:Here is a link to many images of birds in flight I did in the last several days with my new Canon 7D Mark II:

Lovely images from a variety of angles.  Provides convincing evidence to purchase one. Steve, if you don't mind; what was your PP for those images in general or common elements, no specific numbers needed.

Thank you,
Frederick Lat Correa

by WJaekel on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:49 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Here's another example of the 7d2, ISO 6400, crop @ 100 %. Notice that for testing and comparing purposes  no sharpening and no noise reduction was applied  (all in-camera settings for noise , sharpening and corresponding sliders in DPP 3.14  were set to zero),
The test shot of the duck was taken at late afternoon with the 400mm USM IS II @ f2.8, 1/800 sec, camera set to single AF-field, AF Servo (single), Case 1, Combo mounted on a  Gitzo-monopod. The file was cropped in DPP 3.14, transferred as 16bit Tiff to PS CS 6 and saved  as JPEG (Q 10) without any further post processing .

Depending on the motif, ISO 6400 looks usable to me if some  post is applied. I personally would prefer to stay in the 1600 to 3200 range. As expected, the camera is demanding for the quality of the lenses and especially for the technique. Apparent  softness easily can be caused by the shutter speed being too low (disregarding the 1,6x factor)

Wolfgang

by OntPhoto on Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:14 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:Here's another example of the 7d2, ISO 6400, crop @ 100 %. Notice that for testing and comparing purposes  no sharpening and no noise reduction was applied  (all in-camera settings for noise , sharpening and corresponding sliders in DPP 3.14  were set to zero),
The test shot of the duck was taken at late afternoon with the 400mm USM IS II @ f2.8, 1/800 sec, camera set to single AF-field, AF Servo (single), Case 1, Combo mounted on a  Gitzo-monopod. The file was cropped in DPP 3.14, transferred as 16bit Tiff to PS CS 6 and saved  as JPEG (Q 10) without any further post processing .

Depending on the motif, ISO 6400 looks usable to me if some  post is applied. I personally would prefer to stay in the 1600 to 3200 range. As expected, the camera is demanding for the quality of the lenses and especially for the technique. Apparent  softness easily can be caused by the shutter speed being too low (disregarding the 1,6x factor)

Wolfgang

Would exposing to the right have lessened the noise in this situation?

by Doug Brown on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:45 am
Doug Brown
Forum Contributor
Although you can get good results at high ISOs with the 7D2, most photographers don't buy a 1.6 crop body looking high ISO performance. The 7D2 excels at the more common ISOs, and that's where we should be focusing most of our attention. Here's a 100% crop from an ISO 400 RAW file with default DPP sharpening and NR. No additional processing was done other than to crop it in PS. I find the detail and overall image quality to be excellent! Click on the image to see a larger version. 

by crw816 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:25 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
Personally, I don't care to see how the camera performs at ISO 400. It's assumed that it will perform here. I must be one of the rare photographers who have held off on aps-c because there wasn't a performance package available with a high ISO sensor. For me to own this camera it must perform well at ISO 1600, so keep the high ISO images coming.

Doug: excellent image. I think a key to getting great detail (pixel level) at any ISO with this camera will require excellent technique.
Wolfgang: this image looks really underexposed and very noisy. No doubt with better exposure it would have looked much better in te noise dept.
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by KClarke on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:15 am
KClarke
Forum Contributor
Excellent, Doug.

by WJaekel on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:56 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
crw816 wrote: Wolfgang: this image looks really underexposed and very noisy. No doubt with better exposure it would have looked much better in te noise dept.

Sorry, I have to disagree here. You cannot judge the exposure just from the small crop but have to see and evaluate the whole mage.It's correctly exposed at the given motif and light conditions without artificially blowing out the highlights, of course.  Beyond this, if you read my post carefully you can see that all noise reduction and sharpening was intentionally disabled  in order to see the pure output from the sensor. No postprocessing in PS was applied either. At default settings in DPP, it looks much better and I have no problem either to post perfectly clean and sharpened Images @ low ISOs, too. But that was not the goal for that special Image.

For the record, it's the same image @ ISO 6400 but  the settings were left at default now in DPP and the file just resized in PS. You may click for a somewhat larger view

Wolfgang

680 posts |