Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by absu on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:18 am
absu
Forum Contributor
I am using D800 + 500mm F/4 combination.

Was using Benro C3770T & now want to upgrade to Gitzo.

Which will be suitable, Prefer Systematic 2 series.

Kindly help to choose.

Also like to know that whether new systematic series required safety plate for insurance.:) 

Anirban Basu
Anirban Basu

"Beauty is simply reality seen with the eyes of love" 
— Rabindranath Tagore

Email: anirbanbasu0606@gmail.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The 2 series is not designed for that.  While it has the weight capability, it does not have the torsional rigidity for a 500.  What you want is a 3 series.  My preference would be the 3532 - that tripod does not require the safety plate as Gitzo has fixed the problem that the safety plate is designed to prevent.  If you want something that collapses a bit smaller, try the 3542.

by Greg Downing on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:33 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
If you're looking for the most bang for you buck and don't want to spend $800 on a Gitzo 3 series (which is what you will need - the 2-series not not designed for a 500mm lens) - then check out the Sirui 3 series:

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/sirui ... ripod.html

I'm using one right now and really like it.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by absu on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:35 am
absu
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ & Greg

What i indicate by Systematic 2 series is new generation Gitzo comes up in 2012.

However I am wondering that as I am 6 ft tall whether 3532/42LS will be suitable as I am to open all the legs all the time.
In this context my speculation is whether 4542 LS or 5542/32LS will be better in respect to torsional rigidity & weight. Or 3542 XLS will better option?

I understand the weight gain of 400 gms to 1 kg.

But my sole aim to get a optimum  tripod in all aspect.

Anirban Basu
Anirban Basu

— Rabindranath Tagore

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yes, a higher first number is stronger :) But many many of the serious wildlife photographers here use the 3 series. BTW, I am 6' 1" and use the 3532LS. With a gimbal head and even with a low profile mounting arm on the lens, it is just the right height.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:23 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
absu wrote:However I am wondering that as I am 6 ft tall whether 3532/42LS will be suitable as I am to open all the legs all the time.
In this context my speculation is whether 4542 LS or 5542/32LS will be better in respect to torsional rigidity & weight. Or 3542 XLS will better option?

Anirban Basu
Since you don't seem to be concerned with weight, I would go with either a 4 or 5 series tripod to give you much more torsional rigidity. I went from a 3530 to a 5531 and was amazed at the difference in torsional rigidity. There is definitely a weight difference but, for most of my uses, I don't have to carry it far and I still have the 3530 and a lighter model if I need to carry it a distance. I am very happy with the 5311 and would highly recommend the heavier models if you want the most stable platform for your rig, especially if you are using it fully extended. You would need a taller model than mine, of course.

SFJ
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Professional on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:59 am
Professional
Lifetime Member
Member #:01430
SantaFeJoe wrote:
absu wrote:However I am wondering that as I am 6 ft tall whether 3532/42LS will be suitable as I am to open all the legs all the time.

Anirban Basu
Since you don't seem to be concerned with weight, I would go with either a 4 or 5 series tripod to give you much more torsional rigidity. I went from a 3530 to a 5531 and was amazed at the difference in torsional rigidity. There is definitely a weight difference but, for most of my uses, I don't have to carry it far and I still have the 3530 and a lighter model if I need to carry it a distance. I am very happy with the 5311 and would highly recommend the heavier models if you want the most stable platform for your rig, especially if you are using it fully extended. You would need a taller model than mine, of course.

SFJ
^^^ This.

Honestly speaking, the last time i touched my series 3 was back in 2009 for my vacation to USA, then i never touched it again until i travel again, my Gitzo series 3 is only when i travel overseas, but in my country hiking around in my car, nothing can beat my series 5, unbelievable stability or rigidity, i never worry about movements even in windy condition, and i just ordered those Big-Foot tripod shoe to increase stability of the tripod on some surfaces.
Tareq Alhamrani

by rtfm on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:44 am
rtfm
Forum Contributor
Oh boy....I did not realize to need a new tripod, until reading this topic :) Of course I've been somehow aware that GT2541L (without center column) is not enough for 500VR, but so far it has been served quite well. The explanation is that most of my tripod use is not in full length, but actually in very low low position while being on the knees.
Local dealer made an attractive offer from GT3541LS, but it would need a safety plate from NSN-store, so its worth of considering that option. What is your/general opinion about GT3542LS and its base plate locking mechanism ? Do you trust for that ? I have the bad habit to carry my stuff over shoulder a several kilometers per shooting day.

by zesto on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:56 pm
zesto
Forum Contributor
Personally, I think you'd be better off with a RRS TVC-34L. Beautifully made and not too heavy.

by Bob Boner on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:35 pm
Bob Boner
Lifetime Member
Member #:00059
I have one of the original 5 series and one of the 3541LS tripods. I don't find any difference between the photos I take on the two tripods using 600mm (with or without TC) with various Canon bodies. If you think the weight won't matter, go for the heavier model. Just keep in mind that these tripods last forever and there will come a time when your gear will become harder to tote around. That happened to me at about age 70. The older, heavier tripod is still in great shape, but I'm not. I really appreciate the 3541 model. I have managed to take about 5 pounds off my load with the lighter tripod and lighter head. The reduced weight had increased my carrying limit with 600mm to about 1 mile, more if I rest occasionally.
Bob Boner

by Wildflower-nut on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:49 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Tripod height I find is a function of two things, your own height and the type of ground you photograph on. If it is level, then all you have to worry about is your own height. If it is uneven ground or mountainess, I find more height helpful so that I can extend a tripod leg down hill (contacting the ground at a lower elevation than my own feet) or stand on a rock and still have the tripod reach eye height. While this happens seldom with a super telephoto, it happens to me on a regular basis doing scenics. The difference between the 3532Ls and the 3542xls in weight is minimal. I extend the lower leg about 3 inches to keep the joint out of mud or sand so that the tripod maintains the rigidity of a 3 section unit. For a given tube size, the fewer number of joints/sections the more rigid. Also a joint is more rigid if the tube is not pulled all the way out. Only when I need the extra height is the lower leg raised more than 3 inches. That said, the number of sections is probably not as big of an issue when you get into the 5000 series tripods.

by docdocpeter on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:53 am
docdocpeter
Forum Contributor
Hey,I bought a few weeks ago a FEISOL CT 3371 and replaced my old Gitzo with gimbal head,which was not enough for my old heavy Nikon MF 4/600.I'm utterly content with this fantastic tripod,-I would buy a Gitzo never again.The FEISOL can match the Gitzo 3 series in all points,some photographers find it even better.And the price of the Gitzos is in my opinion not due to the high quality but to the aggressive marketing strategies.There is also a 5 series available by FEISOL.I bought my CT 3371 for 329.-Euros,the 5 series costs about 520.-Euros.And FEISOL produces an advanced head better than wimberley or gimbal!Please look at FEISOL INC,USA and make your own decision!

From germany:docdocpeter!

by absu on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:36 am
absu
Forum Contributor
docdocpeter wrote:Hey,I bought a few weeks ago a FEISOL CT 3371 and replaced my old Gitzo with gimbal head,which was not enough for my old heavy Nikon MF 4/600.I'm utterly content with this fantastic tripod,-I would buy a Gitzo never again.The FEISOL can match the Gitzo 3 series in all points,some photographers find it even better.And the price of the Gitzos is in my opinion not due to the high quality but to the aggressive marketing strategies.There is also a 5 series available by FEISOL.I bought my CT 3371 for 329.-Euros,the 5 series costs about 520.-Euros.And FEISOL produces an advanced head better than wimberley or gimbal!Please look at FEISOL INC,USA and make your own decision!

The nomnclature of FEISOL is very much similar with Benro is that any way linked between.
Anirban Basu

— Rabindranath Tagore

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
They are marketed and distributed by the same company.

by john on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:03 pm
john
Lifetime Member
Member #:00404
docdocpeter wrote:Hey,I bought a few weeks ago a FEISOL CT 3371 and replaced my old Gitzo with gimbal head,which was not enough for my old heavy Nikon MF 4/600.I'm utterly content with this fantastic tripod,-I would buy a Gitzo never again.The FEISOL can match the Gitzo 3 series in all points,some photographers find it even better.
I have to disagree with this comment.  I've balked at the price of Gitzo since I started photography because of the price and settled on a feisol 3371.  While it has always served me well I find the leg angles are too steep and this hinders its stability somewhat.  We recently were doing some lens align on 500 and 600mm lenses and my friend had his gitzo (3 something or other) set up beside my feisol on  a solid surface.  We did a test of giving the lens a slight flick and watching through the viewfinder so see when the lens stopped vibrating.  The lens on the feisol continued vibrating what seemed like several seconds longer than the gitzo.  There is definiely a difference in the stability of the two.  Although I still balk at the gitzo prices and am not sure how much difference that makes in the field where you dampen your lens it was definitely a eye opener.

by fredcor on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:12 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
I second the 3532LS; great improvements over the older 1325
Frederick Lat Correa

16 posts |