« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 225 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:13 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Michael Eckstein wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Does the AF deliver? That is my question, and the re-reading the comments on Rob Galbraith's brief experience with it make me wonder. When Canon brings out a camera, there is always a lot of comments about the samples being from a "pre-production" camera, so we shouldn't judge too harshly. That kind of thinking seems unsettling to me, it seems we are always looking at a less than mature product that we "hope" will be different by release(but won't know until we spend the money). It is similar to the mark3 story.
I keep thinking about Nikon's strategy with the D3, they let many photographers have one to try out and post images. They were that confident of the product, and rightly so.
A number of posters on other sites have pointed out that Rob Gailbraith used an AF mode for A1 servo that the 7D user manual says is not for use with A1 servo. Others have tested the AF and have said they feel it is close to or the same as, or better than the 1DMK III. Another tester shooting in Times Square at diving pigeons said it locked on instantly every time. So I guess we will have to wait for the delivery of the production models. In any case I would have to assume that the AF will be better than the 50D, which in my opinion, is pretty darn good for action shooting.

Here's a link to Canon's explanation of the totally new AF system in the 7D:http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller ... leTypeID=5
Thanks for the link! Another question I am curious about is, "Will the 18megapixels deliver as well?" I remember Dpreviews comments about the 50D's 15megs not really being demonstrated /appreciated when judged against it's 12megapixel competitors. I also have seen several comparison images of the 50D to 40D, and the resolution increase wasn't visible.

by Peregrine on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:47 pm
Peregrine
Forum Contributor
For those of you who haven't seen this a four beta test of the 7D
http://www.naturfokus.info/EN/
I have links to over 400 Bird Photographers from around the World at the following link
http://www.peregrinesbirdblog.blogspot.com

by Peregrine on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:48 pm
Peregrine
Forum Contributor
That was meant to say four hour
I have links to over 400 Bird Photographers from around the World at the following link
http://www.peregrinesbirdblog.blogspot.com

by Karl Egressy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:51 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
If you are happy with 10 MP, the 7D has this option in RAW.
You can shoot with 10 MP and probably will have far less noise.
If I buy it, I will buy it for the rest of the new features and not for the 18.2 MP.
I used the Canon 50D for seven month and I did not see any benefit of having 15.2 MP.
I'm quite content with the 10 MP of the Canon 40D.
I mostly shoot birds with 500 f4.0 and 300 f 2.8.

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:29 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:If you are happy with 10 MP, the 7D has this option in RAW.
If I buy it, I will buy it for the rest of the new features and not for the 18.2 MP.
I used the Canon 50D for seven month and I did not see any benefit of having 15.2 MP.
Karl, why not consider a 1Dm3?

by Karl Egressy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:56 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
Too much money Scott. :D

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:11 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
Too much money Scott. :D
A very good reason! :D Maybe once the next generation comes out the used market will have a few kicking around.

by OntPhoto on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:23 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Canon 7D on track to ship next week.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/conten ... 0043-10270

by DonS on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:17 am
DonS
Forum Contributor
That's great news and actually ahead of schedule. On Sept. 1, a high volume U.S. dealer told me he expected shipments by the middle of Oct.

Now, to just get one in the hands and test it. :mrgreen:
"Take your passion and make it happen!"
Don Saunders
http://www.DonSaundersPhoto.com

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:08 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Curious that Luminous Landscape mentioned an upcoming review of the 7D a couple of weeks ago, but it now appears to have been shelved? Lots of Leica news and videos, but the review of the 7D is still pending. Maybe it is just that the leica is more interesting at this point, who knows, hopefully it doesn't mean anything negative about the camera?

by Steve Roman on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Steve Roman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00416
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Curious that Luminous Landscape mentioned an upcoming review of the 7D a couple of weeks ago, but it now appears to have been shelved? Lots of Leica news and videos, but the review of the 7D is still pending. Maybe it is just that the leica is more interesting at this point, who knows, hopefully it doesn't mean anything negative about the camera?
I think it is a bit premature for that type of speculation. Let's not wander into dpreview land.
Steve Roman
Champlin, MN
[b]NSN 0416[/b]

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:21 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Steve Roman wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Curious that Luminous Landscape mentioned an upcoming review of the 7D a couple of weeks ago, but it now appears to have been shelved? Lots of Leica news and videos, but the review of the 7D is still pending. Maybe it is just that the leica is more interesting at this point, who knows, hopefully it doesn't mean anything negative about the camera?
I think it is a bit premature for that type of speculation. Let's not wander into dpreview land.
Not even close, just thought it was funny it was mentioned early on and then nothing. Likely just represents the style of the site's owner more so than a 7D does, so the Leica news dominates, which is understandable. If the M9 was more earthly in price, I think I would be interested.

by Steve Roman on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:32 pm
Steve Roman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00416
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
Steve Roman wrote:
Not even close, just thought it was funny it was mentioned early on and then nothing. Likely just represents the style of the site's owner more so than a 7D does, so the Leica news dominates, which is understandable. If the M9 was more earthly in price, I think I would be interested.
I think you hit the nail on the head there Scott. He often goes in different directions depending on what interests him at the moment. His prerogative I guess.
Steve Roman
Champlin, MN
[b]NSN 0416[/b]

by milmoejoe on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:31 am
milmoejoe
Forum Contributor
Romy Ocon from the Philippines has some nice sample shots from the 7D. Samples look to be taken with a variety of lenses, has some HD video, etc. At the bottom, there are some unprocessed ISO6400 shots. They look pretty amazing for straight out of the camera, IMO.

http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/7d_preprod
[url]http://www.joemilmoe.com[/url]

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
milmoejoe wrote:Romy Ocon from the Philippines has some nice sample shots from the 7D. Samples look to be taken with a variety of lenses, has some HD video, etc. At the bottom, there are some unprocessed ISO6400 shots. They look pretty amazing for straight out of the camera, IMO.

http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/7d_preprod
It's noisy , but from a cropped camera, and such high megapixel count, it does look good. I wish he had used a tripod though with that image so that the level of detail could be evaluated.

by signgrap on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:19 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
He just published his review of the 7D.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... s-on.shtml
Dick Ludwig

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:24 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Hmm, the comments on IQ are a bit worrisome, have to wait till the camera ships I guess. It sounds great other than that though.

by DonS on Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:37 pm
DonS
Forum Contributor
I read Michael's (Luminous Landscape) report of the 7D. I had to laugh at his report of the AF system - he shot some moving cars in low light. OK. That's nice. It worked well. But it's sure not a erratically flying bird. Of course he does not photograph birds. So, we'll leave that testing to us. I'm looking forward to it with real production model cameras!
"Take your passion and make it happen!"
Don Saunders
http://www.DonSaundersPhoto.com

by c.w. moynihan on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:58 pm
c.w. moynihan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00801
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Hmm, the comments on IQ are a bit worrisome, have to wait till the camera ships I guess. It sounds great other than that though.
He didn't really say anything with any level of confidence. Kind of a pointless review.
Christian

[i]Cuz I'm free as a bird now and this bird you cannot change ! [/i]

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:58 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
c.w. moynihan wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Hmm, the comments on IQ are a bit worrisome, have to wait till the camera ships I guess. It sounds great other than that though.
He didn't really say anything with any level of confidence. Kind of a pointless review.
Yes, you're right, there really wasn't much in the review, the camera sounds great in tech specs, but there wasn't really much substance to the review, too much time on Leica review and videos ! :(

225 posts |