« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mirrorless Grip

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:01 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
No controls? Just a battery holder?

by Mike in O on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:48 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
$200 for a battery holder...come on Nikon

by Anthony Medici on Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:56 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
The only useful think that holder does for you is to allow you to shoot VERY long time-lapse movies since you can replace the battery on either side while shooting. I think it would be less useful for video work since there is noise and vibration associated with a battery being replaced.
Tony

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It also adds weight(probably not that much) to help balance a longer lens. The advantage is mostly that you can keep on shooting without changing batteries until all are depleted. They don’t all deplete at once but, rather, one after another. Three batteries are much better than one.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:01 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
SantaFeJoe wrote:It also adds weight(probably not that much) to help balance a longer lens. The advantage is mostly that you can keep on shooting without changing batteries until all are depleted. They don’t all deplete at once but, rather, one after another. Three batteries are much better than one.

Joe

Except it only has two batteries. 

by Anthony Medici on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:11 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I saw a youtube video last night that showed that you did not have to wait until the battery is drained to remove a battery. He removed one, then replaced it, then removed the other and the camera kept shooting a video while he was doing this.

It also showed that there are two buttons that allow you to check the power level of each battery.

It also showed that you could plug in a usb-c cable to charge the batteries in the unit, though I'm not sure if that can be done while shooting.
Tony

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:25 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:It also adds weight(probably not that much) to help balance a longer lens. The advantage is mostly that you can keep on shooting without changing batteries until all are depleted. They don’t all deplete at once but, rather, one after another. Three batteries are much better than one.

Joe

Except it only has two batteries. 
My mistake. I was assuming you still had another in the camera, but you don’t. That’s why it says it can increase shooting time by 1.8x.

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:29 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Anthony Medici wrote:It also showed that you could plug in a usb-c cable to charge the batteries in the unit, though I'm not sure if that can be done while shooting.
Nikon says that if the charger is connected, when the camera is switched on, the camera only works off batteries:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/power-adapters/eh-7p-charging-ac-adapter.html

It will also not charge EN-EL15  or 15a’s.

Joe

9 posts |