« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 am
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Though still unconfirmed the D6, if the stories are true, could be a pretty amazing beast.  In addition to over 60MP FF Sony sensor it's suggested that it will also do 8K video though just what bit-rate I don't know.  The video aspect certainly suggests that Nikon is getting more serious with video as evidenced by the much better video from D850 and Z6/Z7 versus previous Nikon cameras.

I wonder what glass has any chance of wringing anything close to 60MP out of it though -- getting to the point where you'd need ASML litho class glass to do so and forget zooms.

Still, I was once convinced that FF 35mm would top out at about 30MP effective and the 36MP-50MP cameras seem to have invalidated that idea.  

Kind of sad to think the D6 may well be the last flagship DSLR with mirrorless taking over.

Brian

by DChan on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:19 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
As long as the mirrorless cannot C-AF/track as good as or better than the dslr, mirroless will not replace dslr entirely. I certainly will not giving up my dslr till mirrorless is proven to be more capable, or nobody is making dslr anymore.

IMO, one should consider a medium format camera if high resolution is important.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
DChan wrote:As long as the mirrorless cannot C-AF/track as good as or better than the dslr, mirroless will not replace dslr entirely. I certainly will not giving up my dslr till mirrorless is proven to be more capable, or nobody is making dslr anymore.

IMO, one should consider a medium format camera if high resolution is important.
They already can, or at least very close to it, just not the Nikon (or Canon) version of it...
In all but very rare cases an a9 will perform just as well as a D5 and the next iteration will likely outperform it.  There are already certain scenarios where it outperforms it.  Sony has already said that eye detect AF will work for animals in the next iteration....

by Gary Irwin on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
A 60MP D6 makes no sense...maybe a 24MP D6 and 60MP D6x? Personally DLSR's can't die soon enough for me...I hope Nikon really presses mirrorless development going forward.
Gary Likes Nature.

by Brian Stirling on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:32 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Gary Irwin wrote:A 60MP D6 makes no sense...maybe a 24MP D6 and 60MP D6x? Personally DLSR's can't die soon enough for me...I hope Nikon really presses mirrorless development going forward.
Yeah, the proverbial question of whether you can actually get 60MP of resolution is once again with us, but under the right conditions and with the right glass it's not Mathematically impossible to get something close to 60MP.  You are not going to be able to go much beyond f/6.3 and likely f/5.6 and the glass had best be semiconductor grade, but it's not impossible.  

The idea of a true 8K video camera will no doubt be intriguing to those of us that also shot video but without knowing just what the fps and bitrate and whether 4:4:4 or something less.  Honestly, if it could give me a really good 4K with 4:4:4, 60fps and a bitrate in excess of 200Mbps they'd have something quite useful for video shooters.  I do appreciate that many here don't want to hear about video and want there cameras to be pretty much dedicated to stills -- I get that, but Nikon and the other makers also need to appeal to the widest audience possible for an ROI on an expensive camera to develop.

Brian

by Mike in O on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:46 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Sony claims its GM lenses are for the forthcoming 100mpix sensors.

by david fletcher on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:25 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Brian Stirling wrote:
Gary Irwin wrote:A 60MP D6 makes no sense...maybe a 24MP D6 and 60MP D6x? Personally DLSR's can't die soon enough for me...I hope Nikon really presses mirrorless development going forward.
Yeah, the proverbial question of whether you can actually get 60MP of resolution is once again with us, but under the right conditions and with the right glass it's not Mathematically impossible to get something close to 60MP.  

Brian

H6D-100c

FYI... already here.  Won't be too long before it migrates to ether DSLR or Mirrorless.  Lenses already working for that combo so I'll wager the  Brands will be very happy to release new lenses that comply. 
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Since we are not a rumor site and this thread is more about whether or not current lenses can resolve future sensors, I changed the title of this thread.

8 posts |