« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:58 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This Nikon shooter took a Sony a9 to Alaska and here’s his review:

Sony a9 Review by Wildlife Photographer

RAW images can be downloaded at end of video.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DChan on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:28 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:This Nikon shooter took a Sony a9 to Alaska and here’s his review:

Sony a9 Review by Wildlife Photographer

RAW images can be downloaded at end of video.

Joe

And he was asked if he was paid by Sony. Silly question :-)

Here's Thom Hogan's review of the A9 a while ago:

Sony A9 Camera Review

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The problem with Thom is that his knowledge of the Sony system isn't up to the level of his Nikon knowledge.  He has made erroneous statements in forums which were just wrong and exposed his lack of full understanding of the system.  Thom is a Nikon expert but his Sony knowledge is not anywhere near what his Nikon knowledge is leading him to incorrect assumptions at times. I take any review that isn't of Nikon gear from Thom with a grain of salt but do trust his Nikon reviews.

by Mike in O on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:27 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Thom really showed his lack of knowledge of the Sony system with his long winded defense of Nikon in the Sony alpha rumors site.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mike in O wrote:Thom really showed his lack of knowledge of the Sony system with his long winded defense of Nikon in the Sony alpha rumors site.
Yes, that's partly what I was referring to :)  Some patently incorrect statements there.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:26 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Thom really showed his lack of knowledge of the Sony system with his long winded defense of Nikon in the Sony alpha rumors site.
It always comes down to accepting change. I was so skeptical about changing to digital when I saw the first images on the newly introduced Nikon D1’s tiny screen, that I never expected it to replace film. The image was so small I could barely see it.  I mean, who of my age wanted to have to learn about computers just to do wildlife photography? My love was to spend time outdoors and not sitting working on a screen image. Then my wife picked up a Sony W50 p&s. I couldn’t believe my eyes nor deny the results of the prints. I picked up a Nikon D200 and did the switch. I would still rather not have to deal with computers, but I no longer have that choice. Change isn’t necessarily bad after all! Sony’s commitment to mirrorless is far ahead of the rest and I can’t imagine the early offerings from Nikon (or Canon) to be on the same level. The advancement in sensor and EVF technology is putting Sony ahead of the pack, as well.

Sony’s New EVF Technology

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DOglesby on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:10 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
I don't find the Sony A7R3 EVF very impressive.  I think my Sony OM-D E-M1 Mark II has a better EVF.  The Sony's is very pixelated (at least mine is - which is weird because I think the Oly's has lower resolution).  Is the A9 the same VF as the *R3?
Cheers,
Doug

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The link I provided says the new Sony EVF is superior to the one used in the a9 and a7Rlll.  I’m not trying to answer your question, just clarifying that I’m referring to the newest version.
Here’s more directly from Sony:

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201805/18-049E/index.html

Joe

by DChan on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:26 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
It always comes down to accepting change....
I don't think it's about that since Thom also shoots with Sony and Olympus.

The only bad thing that I noticed - maybe because C-AF performance is important to me - Thom said about Sony is its AF is not as good as that of Nikon for now is when the subject matter is moving towards or away from the camera. My understanding is that those are situations which are always more challenging to any C-AF system. Is that true? He set up his camera wrong or he's just nictpicking?

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Sony released a FW update for both the a9 and the lenses specifically to solve the AF tracking for subjects coming towards or moving away from the camera. As far as I can tell, that totally solved that issue.

10 posts |