All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 29 posts | 
by George DeCamp on Thu May 26, 2016 4:23 am
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
DPreview must have just published this last evening? Their review for the D500 gives it a 91%

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d500

by DChan on Thu May 26, 2016 8:47 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
George DeCamp wrote:DPreview must have just published this last evening? Their review for the D500 gives it a 91%

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d500
Folks, a reminder - which received 2 likes - from Pradeep:

One thing I've learned about photography websites is that many are driven by ad revenues and in some cases this is a substantial part of their income. In such cases, negative comments about their sponsors are frowned upon....

I have given up on relying on reviews from anybody who gets paid to do them or gets items 'free to provide an honest review'...

While it is true that many professional reviewers who get items sent to them for free do a good job, it is also true that highly negative reviews of such items are almost never published. This makes the system skewed in favor of only positive reviews and IMHO is therefore biased. In the scientific world such data would not be acceptable although we are still plagued with 'studies' with 'conflicts of interest'. 
And Vivek:

...hello there master of the obvious!!

So, read it at your own risk. Cheers :wink:

by George DeCamp on Thu May 26, 2016 9:37 am
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
DChan wrote: So, read it at your own risk. Cheers :wink:
All websites not just photography.  :wink:

I'll say it again too, dollar for dollar the best camera I have owned to date. I do not get paid for saying anything. LOL

by rene on Thu May 26, 2016 11:47 am
rene
Forum Contributor
I have just returned from a week intensive birdphotography in Hungary. I had both D810 and D500 with me. I used the D500 most of the time in conjunction with the Nikon 300F4 PF, Nikon 500F4 latest version and Sigma 150-600 Sport. I can not report any issues with the camera bar the fact that I also think battery drain is quite high. Other then that: it is a superb camera. Next week I will be using the D500 on the island of Svalbard, North Pole region and will report back in case I encounter any other issues.
Rene de Heer

by George DeCamp on Thu May 26, 2016 2:42 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
rene wrote:. I can not report any issues with the camera bar the fact that I also think battery drain is quite high. Other then that: it is a superb camera. Next week I will be using the D500 on the island of Svalbard, North Pole region and will report back in case I encounter any other issues.
Rene de Heer
Make sure you have it in Airplane Mode and shut off the wifi. That should help. Agree that is a problem but with the battery pack and the EnEL18 I can get ballpark 4000+ images from one battery charge (ENEL18) without using the internal battery.

by DChan on Thu May 26, 2016 2:56 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
OK, a stupid question from someone who's still holding on to his D300. 10fps, is that even without the battery pack? Will it go up with the battery pack?

by George DeCamp on Thu May 26, 2016 4:35 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
DChan wrote:OK, a stupid question from someone who's still holding on to his D300. 10fps, is that even without the battery pack? Will it go up with the battery pack?
Not a stupid question but the answer this time is no, no increase in speed with battery pack. It gets 10fps on the stock battery.

I think the D300 did have an increase if I remember with the battery pack.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu May 26, 2016 7:17 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
George DeCamp wrote:
DChan wrote:OK, a stupid question from someone who's still holding on to his D300. 10fps, is that even without the battery pack? Will it go up with the battery pack?
Not a stupid question but the answer this time is no, no increase in speed with battery pack. It gets 10fps on the stock battery.

+1 on George's comment.  

I'm one who is also still holding onto his trusty old D300.  First digital SLR for me.  But I have to admit I will never use it again.  

by david fletcher on Fri May 27, 2016 1:45 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
George DeCamp wrote:

Plus one more to that.  not a stupid question at all.  Yup, the D300 and the later D700 benefited from a higher frame rate with the use of the grip.  Back in 2007, many years ago, the grip was needed to boost the frame rate, unlike the later models we enjoy now. Whereas now, the technology exists in cameras/ battery / power transference that the grip serves a different purpose of back up power, aesthetics in feel, balance, weight and vertical use.   And of course, the need, identified by the manufacturers, that we cannot get the best out of the new model unless we spend another $400.   

Regarding the latest issues, I firmly believe Nikon have very cleverly recognised and introduced a short cut: (translation, shorting), that rectifies the improvements seen on battery /power and frame rate: reset the playing field and thus, puts us back in the old comfort zone we used to enjoy...   :lol:
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

29 posts |