Pink Sun Orchid

Posted by ChrisRoss on Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
Pink Sun Orchid Thelymitra carnea

The pink sun orchid only opens when it quiet warm and relatively humid and can be a challenge to find them open, if they don't get the right conditions to open they will self fertilise and set seed. 

This one is probably one of the last for the season, found it opened up in a National Park south of home.  Stack of 18 images in Helicon focus.  Diffusion tent to block the wind.

Larger image: Sun Orchid

Olympus OM-D Em-1 MkII + 60mm macro, diffusion tent

1/250 @ f4.5 ISO400
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

Posted by:
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:14 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Strikingly beautiful image Chris. Great work!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Swissblad on Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:56 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Lovely image, Chris, awesome flower and great stacked detail!

Any details on the diffusion tent you use - looking for something similar.

Thanks!

Sinuhe

by Carol Clarke on Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:53 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Beautiful orchid and image, Chris! What a great series you have shown us!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Tom Whelan on Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:43 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Lovely image. The angle on the flower shows the opening petals beautifully, excellent stacked detail.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by ChrisRoss on Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:23 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Swissblad wrote:Lovely image, Chris, awesome flower and great stacked detail!

Thanks!

Sinuhe

Hi Sinuhe,

mine is home made originally cut to fit over an old manfrotto tripod, way back when I was using film.  You can see it here:

Tent 1

Recently i have been using it with a shorter macro lens on m43 gear and drape it over the legs of the camera tripod rather than carrying a separate tripod.  You have the subject between the tripod legs shooting through the velcro opening and I use a couple of Wimberley plamps you hold the tent material up out of the way.  The downside is you need to shoot at a down ward angle, shooting straight ahead you have the tent in the background.  I use it mainly to block the wind and find I needed weighted down on all sides and the openings all tight to keep the subject still enough.

Material is white ripstop nylon, the opening is sealed with velcro.  You can use plamps inside the tent to angle to flower stem as required to try and shoot it without getting the tent in the background.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:32 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
One of your best, if I had to choose- gorgeous color, detail and light. Love getting this tour from afar, of these beauties.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Swissblad on Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:04 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
ChrisRoss wrote:

Thanks!

Sinuhe

Hi Sinuhe,

mine is home made originally cut to fit over an old manfrotto tripod, way back when I was using film.  You can see it here:

Tent 1

Recently i have been using it with a shorter macro lens on m43 gear and drape it over the legs of the camera tripod rather than carrying a separate tripod.  You have the subject between the tripod legs shooting through the velcro opening and I use a couple of Wimberley plamps you hold the tent material up out of the way.  The downside is you need to shoot at a down ward angle, shooting straight ahead you have the tent in the background.  I use it mainly to block the wind and find I needed weighted down on all sides and the openings all tight to keep the subject still enough.

Material is white ripstop nylon, the opening is sealed with velcro.  You can use plamps inside the tent to angle to flower stem as required to try and shoot it without getting the tent in the background.
Thanks for the info Chris, appreciated, looks like a good solution, especially when dealing with wind.
I was first alerted to the use of diffusors for outdoor flower photography by Craig and Nadine Blacklock, who used a spacious tent the size of which would require a building permit locally ;)
We've tried smaller alternatives, of which most were cumbersome, before finally settling on a pair of mini shoot through studio brollies.
Unfortunately wind remains an issue....

by Mary Brun on Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:47 am
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
A really gorgeous image for such a lovely orchid.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by ChrisRoss on Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:14 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Swissblad wrote:
ChrisRoss wrote:

Thanks!

Sinuhe

Hi Sinuhe,

Tent 1

Thanks for the info Chris, appreciated, looks like a good solution, especially when dealing with wind.
I was first alerted to the use of diffusors for outdoor flower photography by Craig and Nadine Blacklock, who used a spacious tent the size of which would require a building permit locally ;)
We've tried smaller alternatives, of which most were cumbersome, before finally settling on a pair of mini shoot through studio brollies.
Unfortunately wind remains an issue....
This one can be used in a fairly stiff breeze, if you weight down all around the edges and seal things off, I used to hunt around for fallen branches and use backpacks etc to weight down every side and then you need to seal up the velcro all along.  As I recall it was old Manfrotto 055b And had the first leg segment out and also the middle click stop for the legs,  the dark flap around edges had slits at each leg so you could engage the velcro to secure to each leg.  It's quite a durable solution and was made back in 2004 and in still in fine shape - just done on a home sewing machine.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia

by John Labrenz on Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:17 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
another beauty...loving this series!

11 posts |