Mushroomscape

Posted by ADKShooter on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:31 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
Nikon D850, Nikon 200mm
ISO 64, 1.3 seconds, F18, Tripod

I used these mushrooms as a subject to experiment with a very slow ISO and commensurate slow shutterspeed while using live view and mirror lock. Due to the heavy rain in our area over the past month I'm expecting lots of mushroom subjects later this Summer and into the Fall.

Please click for higher resolution.

Posted by:
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167

by david fletcher on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Lovely arrangement here Warren. Nice to see an experiment with a low ISO too. (I'd imagine that file looks glorious).
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by ADKShooter on Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:09 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Lovely arrangement here Warren.  Nice to see an experiment with a low ISO too.  (I'd imagine that file looks glorious).
David,
After viewing the file close up I wish I could take all of my shots at ISO 64.  Kind of reminds me of my Kodachrome days as well.

by Carol Clarke on Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:15 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A must click for the full beauty of this shot! The lovely earth palette colours are beautifully highlighted by the glowing gold tones of the mushroom quartet. The content and composition are superb and the detail a real treat to see. Love this one, Warren!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Gene Gwin on Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:27 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Warren, It would be interesting to combine photo stacking to your equation. That would allow the photos to be taken at the F/stop that is sharpest for your lens?

by ADKShooter on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:17 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Gene Gwin wrote:Warren, It would be interesting to combine photo stacking to your equation.  That would allow the photos to be taken at the F/stop that is sharpest for your lens?
You are absolutely correct, stacking would be the way to go with this type of shot in particular.  Unfortunately, I am not a computer guy in the least so my images, beyond rudimentary adjustments, are very straight forward.  From a knowledge point of view I read a lot and know much of the theory behind many of the apps but my enjoyment comes much more from being behind the camera in the field, and not from sitting in front of the computer. However, thanks for the suggestion Gene, it certainly is an accurate one for the overwhelming majority of those photographers who enjoy the post processing end of their images.  

by Tom Whelan on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:24 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Excellent capture of a neat grouping of mushrooms, great specimens with rich colors. Perhaps Amanita flavoconia.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:35 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Just so great, how you did this-I'm inspired. We have a ton of mushrooms here too. I love the rich glowing colors and the excellent contrast with the dark leaf litter and tree. Quite magical!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by ADKShooter on Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:59 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Tom Whelan wrote:Excellent capture of a neat grouping of mushrooms, great specimens with rich colors. Perhaps Amanita flavoconia.
I believe you are correct with your ID.  I'm not very knowledgeable about mushrooms but I believe this Amanita subspecies is the most common in the northeast.

by John Labrenz on Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:28 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Neat family of these mushrooms.
I like to stick to ISO64 whenever I can.

by Darren5907 on Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:59 pm
Darren5907
Forum Contributor
Member #:01854
Nice view. I miss using tripod and slower s.s for macro. Am just wondering whether a touch of fill flash will give a bit more zing to the shrooms?

by ADKShooter on Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:18 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Darren5907 wrote:Nice view. I miss using tripod and slower s.s for macro. Am just wondering whether a touch of fill flash will give a bit more zing to the shrooms?
It probably would but I didn't do it for two reasons.  When I saw this nice grouping I wanted to just see what it would look like with natural light at ISO 64 since it appeared so peaceful as is, and didn't want to introduce any artificial look.  I actually very rarely use traditional flash with plants but prefer LED light(s) so I have a live view of what I'm shooting. I've tried several of them but have settled on one made by Savage called the Edge Lit Mini. Thanks for the suggestion as I do use a touch of light for many woodland orchids.

12 posts |