Cactus Flower

Posted by Gene Gwin on Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:05 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Photographed at the Laguna Seca Ranch in deep South Texas April 16, 2019.

Don't spend much time taking this type of image.  All comments are welcomed--both good and bad.

Posted by:
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor

by Tom Whelan on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:44 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Nice light and good DOF, it's an attractive image. One way to improve it would be to think about how the surrounding cactus frames the flower, and try different arrangements and positions of the flower in the frame.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by rhighercat on Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:38 pm
rhighercat
Forum Contributor
Attractive flower with nice colors. It is probably hard to isolate the flower when you need a larger depth for the flower. my suggestion is to crop the image to the right to remove the out of focus cactus Then the image would be framed by the cacti on the left and top.

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:03 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
rhighercat wrote:Attractive flower with nice colors. It is probably hard to isolate the flower when you need a larger depth for the flower. my suggestion is to crop the image to the right to remove the out of focus cactus Then the image would be framed by the cacti on the left and top.
+1-agree with the ideas of cropping -it is a very beautiful flower-otherwise well seen.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Craig Lipski on Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:25 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Great light and color, nice detail on the blossom. I’d explore different angles; the bg is inconsistent, pretty smooth h on the right, kind of chaotic on the left, with all the spine clusters grabbing (no pun intended), my eye.

by Gene Gwin on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:11 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
rhighercat wrote:Attractive flower with nice colors. It is probably hard to isolate the flower when you need a larger depth for the flower. my suggestion is to crop the image to the right to remove the out of focus cactus Then the image would be framed by the cacti on the left and top.

Thanks for the comment.  The mistake I made was framing the shot in camera with no room for a crop (full-frame).  A good example of what looks good at the time in camera might not be what looks best.  Lesson learned.  

by Gene Gwin on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:18 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Craig Lipski wrote:Great light and color, nice detail on the blossom.  I’d explore different angles; the bg is inconsistent, pretty smooth h on the right, kind of chaotic on the left, with all the spine clusters grabbing (no pun intended), my eye.

Craig, Thanks for the comment.  The photo was taken in the Spring and if I remember correctly, was about a 20 image stack.  It was taken with a 180 macro, so I was concerned about the depth of field and got a little too much.  I did not have to use the whole stack, and I should have used only the ones that I wanted in the image.  You were correct that the spines on the left draws the eye away from the flower--something that I did not see until you pointed it out.  Lots of butterflies at the ranch right now.

7 posts |