fbpixel

Sow Thistle


Posted by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
Image
D750, 150 2.8, 1/400, f/8,ISO 800

Not sure of the exact species, but I think it is the ballpark...Please view uncompressed.
C&C always welcome
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

User avatar
Posted by:
Cynthia Crawford
Moderator
Location: Vermont
Member #:00733
Posts: 13047
Joined: 10 Jun 2006

   

by Craig Lipski on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:59 am
User avatar
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Posts: 4030
Joined: 20 Aug 2003
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan
Member #:00495
I *think* this is a Hieracium sp, commonly known as Hawkweed.  I love the colors and comp, great detail in the subject with a beautiful bg.
Good light,
Craig
 

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:08 am
User avatar
Cynthia Crawford
Moderator
Posts: 13047
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Member #:00733
Craig Lipski wrote:
I *think* this is a Hieracium sp, commonly known as Hawkweed.  I love the colors and comp, great detail in the subject with a beautiful bg.

Thanks Craig. That was my first idea, but I'm not sure.
There is a great place to post flora and fauna for the record and i.d. called iNaturalist. Citizen scientists are contributing from all over the world to record what they see, and others are confirming or discussing the accuracy of identifications. When you post a picture there , they give you suggested i.d. s for comparison. There are some top-notch experts on the site.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/32562383
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb
 

by Craig Lipski on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:26 am
User avatar
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Posts: 4030
Joined: 20 Aug 2003
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan
Member #:00495
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Craig Lipski wrote:
I *think* this is a Hieracium sp, commonly known as Hawkweed.  I love the colors and comp, great detail in the subject with a beautiful bg.

Thanks Craig. That was my first idea, but I'm not sure.
There is a great place to post flora and fauna for the record and i.d. called iNaturalist. Citizen scientists are contributing from all over the world to record what they see, and others are confirming or discussing the accuracy of identifications. When you post a picture there , they give you suggested i.d. s for comparison. There are some top-notch experts on the site.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/32562383


There are some top-notch experts, BUT everyone’s “vote” is weighted equally.  If you’re wrong, one person agrees, and no one knowledgeable disagrees, the post is “research grade”.  I think of all the people on Fb who confidently proclaim that every spider is a Brown Recluse, and every butterfly (or moth, lol) is a Monarch. . . .  
I do like the AI ID suggestions to use as a starting point for research when I’m totally clueless.  Certainly not the be-all and end-all, but another arrow in the quiver, so to speak.
For those who’ve never tried it, I find the actual website much more user friendly than the app.
Good light,
Craig
 

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:31 am
User avatar
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Posts: 6939
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Location: American Southwest
Craig Lipski wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
There are some top-notch experts, BUT everyone’s “vote” is weighted equally.  If you’re wrong, one person agrees, and no one knowledgeable disagrees, the post is “research grade”.  I think of all the people on Fb who confidently proclaim that every spider is a Brown Recluse, and every butterfly (or moth, lol) is a Monarch. . . .  



I would have said it’s a dandelion and many people would have agreed with my wrong I.D.!!!!    :)
Cindy, I would probably gone with a bit more DOF to show the detail in the buds. It looks like the BG would still be out of focus with more DOF. Nice color combo.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
 

by Debapratim Saha on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:43 am
User avatar
Debapratim Saha
Forum Contributor
Posts: 4856
Joined: 31 Jul 2011
Location: Siliguri,India
Member #:02058
Great colors and compo,amazing image!
 

by cwdavis on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:30 am
cwdavis
Forum Contributor
Posts: 214
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Member #:02092
Regardless of whether its a dandelion, thistle, or hawkweed, I find this an attractive image. I like the simplicity and the way the flower holds the eye in a background that is nicely balanced with contrasty greens and blues.
C William Davis
Chapel Hill, NC
 

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:47 am
User avatar
Cynthia Crawford
Moderator
Posts: 13047
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Member #:00733
Craig Lipski wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Craig Lipski wrote:
I *think* this is a Hieracium sp, commonly known as Hawkweed.  I love the colors and comp, great detail in the subject with a beautiful bg.

Thanks Craig. That was my first idea, but I'm not sure.
There is a great place to post flora and fauna for the record and i.d. called iNaturalist. Citizen scientists are contributing from all over the world to record what they see, and others are confirming or discussing the accuracy of identifications. When you post a picture there , they give you suggested i.d. s for comparison. There are some top-notch experts on the site.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/32562383


There are some top-notch experts, BUT everyone’s “vote” is weighted equally.  If you’re wrong, one person agrees, and no one knowledgeable disagrees, the post is “research grade”.  I think of all the people on Fb who confidently proclaim that every spider is a Brown Recluse, and every butterfly (or moth, lol) is a Monarch. . . .  
I do like the AI ID suggestions to use as a starting point for research when I’m totally clueless.  Certainly not the be-all and end-all, but another arrow in the quiver, so to speak.
For those who’ve never tried it, I find the actual website much more user friendly than the app.

Good point on the i.d., Craig. One would hope that an expert would eventually disagree with a wrong i.d., but perhaps not so likely. It is definitely a self-regulating process.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb
 

by rhighercat on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:35 pm
rhighercat
Forum Contributor
Posts: 308
Joined: 12 Sep 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Member #:02130
Nice composition and colors. adequate dof on the flower. Details are good on the flower, as it is often hard to get details on a bright yellow flower. It looks like Canada Hawkweed, grows on roadsides and disturbed lands in Wisconsin.
 

by Tom Whelan on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:24 pm
User avatar
Tom Whelan
Moderator
Posts: 28111
Joined: 21 Aug 2003
Location: Lexington, MA
Member #:00293
Lovely flower details and curving stem. Like Craig, I know this as hawkweed, there are quite a few species.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)
 

by Carol Clarke on Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:51 pm
User avatar
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Posts: 59567
Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Location: Bucks, UK. In tune with Nature.
Member #:00067
My first thought was I don't recall sow thistles having hairy stems? but I'll let the experts ID this beauty!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.


"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:  
11 posts | 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group