Painted Lady

Posted by Craig Lipski on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
Painted Lady
Vanessa cardui
On, what else. . . Tithonia
This species also goes by the common name "Cosmopolitan" because of its wide distribution.

5DIV
100-400 4.5-5.6 II
1/640, f/8, iso 800
Hand held, natural light

Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Posted by:
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:27 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Sweet, sweet light on this butterfly. Very common around here and very photogenic species. The flower and the BG are perfect to showcase it.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Gene Gwin on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:43 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Craig,
Very Nice. Really like the comp on this one. Question: Do you ever use extension tubes since you're not using a true macro lens? Also, in the 100-400 range, what lens length did you use? You consistently post excellent images on this forum.--hope to learn something.

by Craig Lipski on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:00 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Gene Gwin wrote:Craig,
Very Nice.   Really like the comp on this one.  Question:  Do you ever use extension tubes since you're not using a true macro lens?  Also, in the 100-400 range, what lens length did you use?  You consistently post excellent images on this forum.--hope to learn something.
Thanks, Gene!
This one was at 400mm.
The v2 of this lens has a mfd of about 3’ - one of the reasons I love it - it practically lives on my camera.  I can go from “almost macro” to almost super-tele, all without changing lenses, and it plays well with a tc or close-up filter.  I’ve played with extension, but for walking around and shooting whatever grabs my fancy, for me the zoom+extender wonkiness isn’t worth it.  The lens is sharp enough that I can get good crops - *maybe* not for printing large, but honestly I rarely print anymore.  I use it on a 16Mp aps-h (1.3 crop factor) and 30Mp full frame body, and 100% looks great.

Last edited by Craig Lipski on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Gene Gwin on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Craig Lipski wrote:
Very Nice.   Really like the comp on this one.  Question:  Do you ever use extension tubes since you're not using a true macro lens?  Also, in the 100-400 range, what lens length did you use?  You consistently post excellent images on this forum.--hope to learn something.
Thanks, Gene!
This one was at 400mm.
The v2 of this lens has a mfd of about 3’ - one of the reasons I love it - it practically lives on my camera.  I can go from “almost macro” to almost super-tele, all without changing lenses, and it plays well with a tc or close-up filter.  I’ve played with extension, but for walking around and shooting whatever grabs my fancy, for me the zoom+extender wonkiness isn’t worth it.  The lens is sharp enough that I can get good crops - maybe not for printing large, but honestly I rarely print anymore.  
Craig, Thanks...

by Craig Lipski on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:05 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Gene Gwin wrote:
Craig Lipski wrote:
Thanks, Gene!
This one was at 400mm.
The v2 of this lens has a mfd of about 3’ - one of the reasons I love it - it practically lives on my camera.  I can go from “almost macro” to almost super-tele, all without changing lenses, and it plays well with a tc or close-up filter.  I’ve played with extension, but for walking around and shooting whatever grabs my fancy, for me the zoom+extender wonkiness isn’t worth it.  The lens is sharp enough that I can get good crops - maybe not for printing large, but honestly I rarely print anymore.  
Craig, Thanks...

I edited / added to that post while you were replying.

by cwdavis on Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:52 pm
cwdavis
Forum Contributor
Craig,
Gorgeous photo of a commoner!
C William Davis
Chapel Hill, NC

by Craig Lipski on Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:01 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Thanks, all for your input!

by Ron Day on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:09 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
A well-composed, beautiful image of the Painted Lady, Craig. If you are interested in removing the shadow under the bottom portion of the butterfly's wings, a touch of fill flash has always worked for me. :)

by Craig Lipski on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:37 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
That would work, though in this shot I don’t think it bothers me - the light and shadow are fine for my taste. I don’t like the harsh sunlight that butterflies seem to revel in, and I’m not adverse to subtle fill flash, but, to my taste, this is not offensive (maybe too harsh a word there, I’m blanking on a better choice.). Thank you for your thoughts!

by DChan on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:54 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
I think this could work in a 1:1 aspect ratio.

by Craig Lipski on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:16 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:I think this could work in a 1:1 aspect ratio.
You know, I never work with that except for tight crops for BAMONA, BugGuide, etc, so it never crossed my mind - I should explore that; thank you!

by Tom Whelan on Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:33 am
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Classic composition and pose, lovely image.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:39 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Very nice what you are getting with this camera/lens combo-thanks for explaining. The butterfly almost looks like it is part of the flower- good campiflage, I'd think. very pretty sight. I agree with experimenting with a square crop, though I like this just as it is.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by rhighercat on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:43 pm
rhighercat
Forum Contributor
Very nice composition. Background and colors are great. beautiful light. butterfly is sharp throughout. overall great image!

15 posts |