C William Davis
Chapel Hill, NC

Posted by:
cwdavis
Forum Contributor

by Tom Whelan on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:40 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Pretty setting for a tiny mushroom - nice moss detail and color.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:10 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Lovely miniature- vibrant colors. I wish the lower right hand oof area was less obtrusive-perhaps crop a little?
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Matthew Pugh on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:59 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

I like the composition - I like the setting and subject material, but yes the OOF effects are not helping imo

I know nothing about stacking, but suspect you could just have used a tripod/smaller aperture to gain more DOF to make the stacking easier?

All the best
Matthew

by cwdavis on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:17 pm
cwdavis
Forum Contributor
Thank you for the complements & constructive input.  After posting this one, I was wishing I had held it back, basically for the problems in the foreground.  There were two things working against me, the 1st being the angle of the camera & lens was such that the back edge of the cap was in the same plane of focus as the foreground moss.  The 2nd what I believe to be artifacts from the stacking merge algorithm in PS -- the 'out of focus' area in the leaf at the lower right is mostly artifact, and if you look carefully around the edge at the left of the leaf you'll see a halo which is also artifact.

Matthew, at about a 2:1 magnification, a tripod was absolutely essential, especially when shooting a 15 image stack.  And, I considered a smaller aperture, but found that increasing the f/ beyond 5.6 brought too much of the background moss into plain view.  This was a tough one and I should have used it just for the lessons learned!  Still a fun one, though ...

Bill
C William Davis
Chapel Hill, NC

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:17 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
cwdavis wrote:Thank you for the complements & constructive input.  After posting this one, I was wishing I had held it back, basically for the problems in the foreground.  There were two things working against me, the 1st being the angle of the camera & lens was such that the back edge of the cap was in the same plane of focus as the foreground moss.  The 2nd what I believe to be artifacts from the stacking merge algorithm in PS -- the 'out of focus' area in the leaf at the lower right is mostly artifact, and if you look carefully around the edge at the left of the leaf you'll see a halo which is also artifact.

Matthew, at about a 2:1 magnification, a tripod was absolutely essential, especially when shooting a 15 image stack.  And, I considered a smaller aperture, but found that increasing the f/ beyond 5.6 brought too much of the background moss into plain view.  This was a tough one and I should have used it just for the lessons learned!  Still a fun one, though ...

Bill
Hi Bill

That all makes sense....as far as I know about image stacking, which is about nothing!  I'm sure it is tricky business and I admire any effort to get such fine close detail with apparently much thought and forethought. Most of my subjects only stand still for a shot moment-it would be fun to enjoy more things that don't fly away!  I guess there was no way to simply turn the camera slightly to the left to avoid the leaf altogether?
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Matthew Pugh on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi Bill

I understand your remarks and I guess its all down to taste - but why not try for a front to back sharp look? The moss looks nice, and contrasts against the main star, hence you already have your subject to surround separation. either way thanks for the explanation - and its not a bad shot!

All the best
Matthew

7 posts |