Silver-spotted Skipper

Posted by Craig Lipski on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Silver-spotted Skipper
Epargyreus clarus

Livingston Co, MI

Another common one - I'm taking what the yard's giving me.  Before I processed this, I never noticed the “downward looking” eyes - they crack me up, and I’ll probably never look at them the same way again!

5DIV
100-400 4.5-5.6 II + 1.4x II
1/160, f/14
Eval +.67
iso 1600

I have a similar shot in landscape, I'm not sure which I prefer; lots of "negative space" in both, which I kind of like, hence the chosen crop.
Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Posted by:
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495

by Robert on Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:45 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
As far as composition choices, in this image I would prefer to see the subject higher in the frame on a vertical comp like this. Visually you would still have a fair amount of negative space, but the plant would lead the eye from the lower left up to the butterfly. And in this way make use of the whole frame better. In your previous image in landscape format of a butterfly on a blade of grass, the blade of grass crosses the frame and helps tie the whole frame together nicely. That's my artistic opinion, others are free to disagree of course.

by Craig Lipski on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:04 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Robert wrote:As far as composition choices, in this image I would prefer to see the subject higher in the frame on a vertical comp like this. Visually you would still have a fair amount of negative space, but the plant would lead the eye from the lower left up to the butterfly. And in this way make use of the whole frame better. In your previous image in landscape format of a butterfly on a blade of grass, the blade of grass crosses the frame and helps tie the whole frame together nicely. That's my artistic opinion, others are free to disagree of course.

Thanks for the thoughts, Robert.  I was thinking more along the lines of giving him (her?) some “place to go.”  I’ll play with your comp idea - again, I appreciate the input.

by Bruce Sherman on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:35 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
Sharp focus, nice BG, attractive perch. Nice combination. I agree with Robert's comments about all the empty space at the top.
Bruce Sherman
[url]http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman[/url]

by Tom Whelan on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:15 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Nice capture of this species - they are pretty active, and hard to get at rest.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:41 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Lovely detail and nice angle to the grass. I guess I would prefer a (boring old) horizontal crop, as s/he seems to be headed that way. I DO appreciate the idea of doing something different-just not sure this one works.

Love your comment about the eyes! I always wonder what these insects actually see.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:02 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A sweet view of this little skipper with its dipped headlights, Bruce. I rather like your choice of leaving plenty of space for it to flutter into.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Matthew Pugh on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

First off - I like the image, its clean, well executed and displays a nice array of values all controlled with the darks looking strong and adding definition and the whites displaying great detail.

Regarding the composition - imo it all depends upon the intended end usage. Although artistically I could see better compositions to hang on a wall say, in real world terms this image's composition would hold good value for publications having a nice open area that would not interfere with captions/texts

Its horses for courses - and either way a fine shot

All the best
Matthew

8 posts |