Coelioxys

Posted by ThomasBarbin on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
A Coelioxys sp. bee settling in for the night on a Puget Sound Gumweed flowerhead. Photographed on Vancouver Island.

Please let me know what you think! Any criticism is welcomed.

Thanks!
Thomas

1/250 | f/16 | ISO 320
Canon 7D
Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM
12mm Extension tube
Venus KX-800 twin flash with DIY diffuser

Posted by:
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor

by Craig Lipski on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:03 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Verysharp subject, great use of flash in backlit situation, good comp, it tells a story - great sense of “place.”

by ThomasBarbin on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Craig Lipski wrote:Verysharp subject, great use of flash in backlit situation, good comp, it tells a story - great sense of “place.”

Thanks a lot Craig, I appreciate it.

by Matthew Pugh on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:45 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

I like the idea and the bold use of lighting - its a different type of image to what normally gets posted here and it does have its charms. I guess compositionally the eye has a hard time finding a resting place within this image. Perhaps a good thing, or a bad. I'd wonder if you lost half of the sky area if this would place more of a focal / resting place upon the subject, without losing that hard worked for atmosphere

Either way a pleasure to see - nice one

Thanks for sharing
Matthew

by Tom Whelan on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:13 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
The wide angle perspective is wonderful, so is the composition and detail. Nice balance of flash and natural light.
I like the sun and sky as presented, reducing the sky is an interesting alternative.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by Ed Cordes on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:02 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I like this as is. Detail is super. Flash compensated for the back light in just the right amount. The glow of the darker background just behind the bee add a lot of mood. Good job.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by ThomasBarbin on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:05 am
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Matthew Pugh wrote:Hi

I like the idea and the bold use of lighting - its a different type of image to what normally gets posted here and it does have its charms. I guess compositionally the eye has a hard time finding a resting place within this image. Perhaps a good thing, or a bad. I'd wonder if you lost half of the sky area if this would place more of a focal / resting place upon the subject, without losing that hard worked for atmosphere

Either way a pleasure to see - nice one

Thanks for sharing
Matthew

Thanks for your comment Matthew. I know what you mean with the composition. I had thought about having the background darker to isolate the subject a bit more. I had done this with a few other subjects that day so I liked that this one was a bit different in having the grass in the background showing a bit. It does make things a bit busy though! Maybe I will try bringing down the background and see how it looks. I am concerned that if I crop the sky it will look a bit awkward cutting off the sun. I guess it is easy enough to crop it in lightroom and undo it if I don't like it! I will try that out.

Thomas

by ThomasBarbin on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:07 am
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Tom Whelan wrote:The wide angle perspective is wonderful, so is the composition and detail. Nice balance of flash and natural light.
I like the sun and sky as presented, reducing the sky is an interesting alternative.

Thank you Tom, I appreciate it. I originally dropped the highlights down when I started editing this photo, but I wasn't thrilled with how it looked.

Thomas

by ThomasBarbin on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:08 am
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:I like this as is.  Detail is super.  Flash compensated for the back light in just the right amount.  The glow of the darker background just behind the bee add a lot of mood.  Good job.

Thanks a lot Ed!

Thomas

9 posts |