Fern in Black and White

Posted by Atom McCoy on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:27 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
Nikon D800; Nikkor 200-500mm @ 200mm ISO 400; f/8 1/250

Converted to black and white from a colored image.

Posted by:
Atom McCoy
Forum Contributor

by Tom Whelan on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:23 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Nice B&W abstraction. Moving the bright out-of-focus leaf out of the foreground would make this even better.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by Matthew Pugh on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:44 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

I like the idea and strong use of lighting - but although the lighting is indeed striking and attracts the eye, the composition requires more refinement and condensing to really craft an image that retains that attraction. For example you could have made the shot about the vertical / horizontal lighting contrasts seen upon the right. Or gone in closer and made the image about the focus and lighting effects displayed by that grass blade interlacing the fern - lots of compositional options to explore really just within this little scene; but I the real point I am trying to make is that simplifying and condensing the image and composing more around a single thought-out aspect would probably in most instances formed a stronger looking image that had more lasting appeal

Hope some of that waffle made sense to you - and if not, do what most people do and ignore me! lol

All the best
Matthew

by Atom McCoy on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:19 am
Atom McCoy
Forum Contributor
Matthew Pugh wrote:Hi

I like the idea and strong use of lighting - but although the lighting is indeed striking and attracts the eye, the composition requires more refinement and condensing to really craft an image that retains that attraction. For example you could have made the shot about the vertical / horizontal lighting contrasts seen upon the right. Or gone in closer and made the image about the focus and lighting effects displayed by that grass blade interlacing the fern - lots of compositional options to explore really just within this little scene; but I the real point I am trying to make is that simplifying and condensing the image and composing more around a single thought-out aspect would probably in most instances formed a stronger looking image that had more lasting appeal

Hope some of that waffle made sense to you - and if not, do what most people do and ignore me! lol

All the best
Matthew
HI Matthew,

It all makes sense. That is one of the things that makes photography so interesting.

Cheers from the Land Down Under

Atom

4 posts |