Blomfild’s Beauty

Posted by Craig Lipski on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:28 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Blomfild’s Beauty
Smyma blomfildia

I was exciteded when I heard that this rare visitor was present, but disappointed when I saw it.  He never opened his wings, although the underside is pretty darn cool, and he was in deep shade against a bright bg, and me with no flash!  I was very pleasantly surprised that I was able to work this up in post.  Now if I could just do something about the moire. . . .

1D MkIV
100-400 4.5-5.6 MkIi + 1.4xII
f/11, 1/30s
iso 1000
Handheld, natural light

Between the crop factor, the zoom, and the t.c, that’s effectively 728mm @ 1/30 sec - I made and threw out a lot of attempts, but thank God for IS!!!

Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Last edited by Craig Lipski on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495

by Tom Whelan on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Fine image and a cool find. Beautiful species.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by Matthew Pugh on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:05 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

Well I would be more than happy to capture a rare species in such a delightful manner - personally I stick to tripod nowadays for macro lol

All the best
Matthew

by Craig Lipski on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Matthew Pugh wrote:Hi

Well I would be more than happy to capture a rare species in such a delightful manner - personally I stick to tripod nowadays for macro lol

All the best
Matthew

Thanks!  How do you get little beasties to hold still?  (This one did, but that’s not the norm.)

by Matthew Pugh on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:27 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

Well - I guess it all down to what works for you the best; I find now that I am older handholding macro images a lot harder to get good results consistently. So while using a tripod might limit opportunities, the results are more consistently accurate from the available ones. Hopefully that makes some sense. But I cant deny the pleasure from just strolling along without a backpack of equipment to contend with lol

All the best
Matthew

5 posts |