Masked Tree Frog

Posted by ThomasBarbin on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:24 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
A Masked Tree Frog (Smilisca phaeota) peering over a folded leaf in La Fortuna, Costa Rica. The frog was photographed where it was found and was not moved or handled in any way.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the photo and any suggestions are welcomed.

Canon 7D
Canon 70-200mm f/4L (at 100mm)
20mm extension tube
Canon 430ex II with a DIY diffuser
1/160 | f/8.0 | ISO 400

Posted by:
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor

by Craig Lipski on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Nice, no, great shot. I think your use of flash is spot-on. I’m curious as to how a hair more DOF, to get the other eye sharp, would work, but this is great with such a clearly defined focal point to grab the viewer’s eye.

by Tom Whelan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:32 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Fine image of a handsome frog.
The 70-200/4 is a great lens, but the minimum focal distance is a handicap - a 100/2.8 macro or a 300/4 (with or without extension) might be better.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by ThomasBarbin on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Craig Lipski wrote:Nice, no, great shot.  I think your use of flash is spot-on.  I’m curious as to how a hair more DOF, to get the other eye sharp, would work, but this is great with such a clearly defined focal point to grab the viewer’s eye.

Thank you Craig! I would have loved to get both eyes sharp. It was a bit awkward to get into the right position to get this photo so I wasn't stable enough to do any focus stacking.

by ThomasBarbin on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Tom Whelan wrote:Fine image of a handsome frog.
The 70-200/4 is a great lens, but the minimum focal distance is a handicap - a 100/2.8 macro or a 300/4 (with or without extension) might be better.

Thanks Tom! I actually had a 100mm macro for a short period of time before it was run over by a few cars  :(

Since then I've been using my 70-200 with extension tubes in place of the 100mm. It's not quite as practical as a dedicated macro lens, but still works pretty well!

by Ed Cordes on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:08 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I love this shot. Having experienced trying to get good position on these little ones in the dark, staying on the trail I can appreciate the effort you went through to make this outstanding image. I really like the peek a boo pose and the tack sharp eye. Frankly, the slightly out of focus left eye (frog's left) adds a bit of extra mystery of the overall presentation. Great job.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Matthew Pugh on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:23 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

An excellent shot - I think the flash work looks very accomplished and has a pleasingly un-intrusive appearance / look. I like the suggestion about some more DOF, but handholding I suspect you would struggle, although yes a little more frontal DOF (rather then second eye) would have helped out. But seriously you have to be happy with this - its a wee treat

All the best
Matthew

by ThomasBarbin on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:13 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:I love this shot.  Having experienced trying to get good position on these little ones in the dark, staying on the trail I can appreciate the effort you went through to make this outstanding image.  I really like the peek a boo pose and the tack sharp eye.  Frankly, the slightly out of focus left eye (frog's left) adds a bit of extra mystery of the overall presentation.  Great job.
Thank you Ed!

by ThomasBarbin on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:18 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Matthew Pugh wrote:Hi

An excellent shot - I think the flash work looks very accomplished and has a pleasingly  un-intrusive appearance / look. I like the suggestion about some more DOF, but handholding I suspect you would struggle, although yes a little more frontal DOF (rather then second eye) would have helped out. But seriously you have to be happy with this - its a wee treat

All the best
Matthew

The out of focus snout bothers me a bit the more I look at it. Unfortunately I was in the same situation as I was with the eye for depth of field. I appreciate your input!

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:34 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Although the "one eye" focus has been critically remarked on, I rather like it- I get the feeling of the frog just peeping out for a brief glimpse. I'm expecting a wink next! ;)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

10 posts |