Mating Monarchs From Rescue, Raise, Release efforts

Posted by Leo Keeler on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:35 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Canon 7 D II, ISO 400, 100-400 at 330, F8 at 1/640 (Captive male from Rescued egg just released, and likely free roaming but previously captive female from earlier Rescued egg)

Some people ask why I generally shoot at max frames per second.  This image is a good example of what can be captured or missed. 

This mating activity had extremely fast twisting and wing flapping.  The bright male held his abdomen up and back toward the faded female and I could see her stroking his abdomen with hers. But I never expected to capture an ejaculation that occurred between wing flaps, and the abdomen of both at the mating position.

We've Rescued, Raised and Released over 200 monarch eggs and expect to pass 250 in the next 2 - 3 weeks, from about 325 eggs we Rescued.  Monarchs lay between 300 - 100 eggs (max recorded in breeding facility is over 1,000) but only 3-5% make it to a butterfly in the wild.

We estimate that the 100+ females we released are generation 3 and will lay an average of 500 eggs each and that will contribute 50,000 Gen 4 eggs laid in the wild with 5% becoming butterfly's that return to Mexico or 2,500 going to the wintering grounds vs. only 125 had we not Rescued, Raised and Released those 100+ eggs.

With serious discussions going on the list the American Monarch on the Endangered Species list, we encourage everyone to PLANT MILKWEED.
http://www.akwildlife.com
Fellow Member International League of Conservation Photographers, North American Nature Photographers, Past President of Friends of McNeil River

Posted by:
Leo Keeler
Forum Contributor

by Tom Whelan on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:26 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Fine behavior image and a timely conservation story. There's been an active campaign to list the Monarch as an endangered species since 2014.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by Matthew Pugh on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:03 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

Great shot - and interesting to hear about their behaviour. Seems quite different to butterflies I have witnessed over here that seem much more sedate in mating, often being joined for quite a length of time, unmoving. Sadly butterflies are in serious decline here too, numbers being down year on year with no real improvement hoped for, or looked for it seems to me. I expect the pressure we humans are placing upon nature will have an unhappy ending for many of life's little joys

Anyone - enough of my soapbox. And thanks for a highly enjoyable image

All the best
Matthew

by John P on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:51 am
John P
Forum Contributor
Fantastic behavior captured! Nicely done!
John P
www.impressionsofnature.net

by John P on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:51 am
John P
Forum Contributor
Fantastic behavior captured! Nicely done!
John P
www.impressionsofnature.net

5 posts |