Ladybirds

Posted by sayhitoant on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:30 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Sharing a loving pair of ladybirds against the morning sun.  I welcome your C & C for improvement.

Exif : Canon 7D, 180T, f22, 1/20s, ISO 400, fill flash

Posted by:
sayhitoant
Forum Contributor

by Tom Whelan on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:01 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Excellent contrasting colors and details. The beetles look close to the tortoise beetles of my area than the ladybird beetles - same spot pattern and color, though.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by Carol Clarke on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:56 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Hi Ant!  :wink:

Love makes the world go round, even for bugs.  Excellent, crisp detail of this happy pair and nice colour palette with the green and red.  Perfect light control.  Well done!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Matthew Pugh on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:31 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

I think you have the image you were after and it looks good!

Regarding suggestions - for my tastes I would have avoided the black surround, probably opting for a closer composition that eliminated these areas completely

All the best
Matthew

by hawksnaturphoto on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:19 pm
hawksnaturphoto
Forum Contributor
Great, very excellent, compliment.

Regards

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:10 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Hi Anthony!

It's a beauty of an image.  No doubt about it!  I'm wondering....how can these little buggers have sex?  No kidding.  It is a wonderful thing....because it all keeps the ecosystem going .  Nature is so fascinating and limitless.  I just love it so much.

You asked for CC.  I have been out of macro for so long.  But in those olden days (80's) I always had a black background and after a very long time I realized that I was getting tired of it.  But I could not get rid of it.  In other words Anthony, I did not have a choice.  All my macro backgrounds were black, making the image look unnatural....like it was taken in a cellar.  The reason I could not get rid of it was because in those days it was Kodachrome 25, 64 or another slow transparency and a flash.  In fact, the late and great Larry Hoyt told me how to do it one night in a phone conversation.

Anyway, I think it would be good if (in digital macro) one could find the right ISO to render a background that was at least somewhat less than pitch black .....and still have little noise or "grain".  You can do it with digital, whereas you could not do it with film.   As I write this I can only try to remember what your ISO was.....400?  What if you raised it to say.....1000?  What ISO would it take to render a background that make the final image NOT look like it was taken in a cellar.  

I love the subject matter of you image Anthony ..... and the dew.  These animals (yes, all insects are animals) are so cute. 

Thanks for this little piece of nature.  :)

Robert King

by Denis55 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:55 pm
Denis55
Forum Contributor
Very nice specimens,Anthony,and great diffusion.
I would of went with a tighter crop,if possible,to avoid the black!

7 posts |