« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 103 posts | 
by Diane Miller on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:45 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
There is some excellent technical information here, but for images, I wish for more serious critique and discussion. There is so much "Great shot!" it is boring. That limits both comment and posting, on my part. Why bother? I could care less about the Facebook mentality.

by Karl Egressy on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:07 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Constructive, tactful critique is great.
However, not everybody is good at it.
Doing critique on images posted by members, should be chiefly done by moderators IMO.
Unfortunately, they are not to be found at all most of the time.
Well, it is a time consuming job I realize that, and it is not always appreciated.

by Tom Robbins on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:20 pm
Tom Robbins
Forum Contributor
I stopped posting photos in the image galleries years ago for a number of reasons, some of which have already been mentioned. Just the same, I visit NSN very regularly, again for the thoughtful reasons already mentioned.

I wonder if a new image gallery might be useful. It could be called "Ask a Question" or something like that. An image could be posted, along with one question regarding the image. The question could be technical and include such concerns like depth of field, ISO, processing decisions, and etc. Or the question may involve aesthetics and involve the many variables of composition. The gallery would have an appointed moderator, hopefully with the time to actively participate.

This might overcome the understandable reluctance of members to provide critical thoughts and suggestions, since the poster has opened the door, so to speak.

Just an idea.

by Steve Cirone on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:53 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
One place where I do feel free to comment and tell "my truth" is while judging live at photo contests for local photo clubs.  I always start by reminding the audience that certain photographs may be of intense personal value, such as an image you made of a family who is now deceased.  To the maker, that may be the most important image you ever made.  But I do not have that context of information, so please forgive my lack of understanding.  I can only judge and image by the care represented in selecting the quality and direction of light, the interest of the subject, the pose, the background, and even then, it is only my opinion.  That has worked well for my 20 years of local judging.

Posting for me on Facebook is primarily to keep my local shooting buddies informed of current action in my local region.  My inner circle of shooting pals currently uses Facebook as a communication device.  We used to be all over Flickr, and before that it was personal websites and blogs.  I know Facebook has many detractors and can be downright evil, but any technology runs that risk.

In conclusion to "what makes me comment," I do not see comments as really any big deal.  I just like to see what's cooking in the galleries.  In developing my own techniques back in the early days, I used to really watch the settings of my heroes such as Jody Melanson, Ofer Levy, Jim Neiger and many other NSN luminaries.  It is thrilling and humbling to attempt to stand on the shoulders of the best and reach for the stars.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Eia on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:26 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
I see the difference in responses between the pros and the non. Also the difference between long time posters and new. Not saying right or wrong....just seeing the difference.
~AnnaMaria~

by Ed Cordes on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:35 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Oh my, do I feel badly. I haven't posted images in a few years. I have been posting from time to time in discussion forums, but have neglected image forums. I am not sure why. I do, very rarely, comment in image forums, but not like I used to. I think it is due to the fact that life is so busy I just don't think about it. OK, enough rambling. I just made a resolution to increase my posting and comment in images forums. Thanks for the reminder and gentle nudge.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Mike in O on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:08 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
We all have pictures that sit on our computer that need a reason to be brought to light...how about a weekly themed view (BIF, snow capped mtns. rare birds or whatever) that people can comment on.

by signgrap on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:59 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Tom Robbins wrote: . . . . edit

I wonder if a new image gallery might be useful. It could be called "Ask a Question" or something like that. An image could be posted, along with one question regarding the image. The question could be technical and include such concerns like depth of field, ISO, processing decisions, and etc. Or the question may involve aesthetics and involve the many variables of composition. The gallery would have an appointed moderator, hopefully with the time to actively participate.

This might overcome the understandable reluctance of members to provide critical thoughts and suggestions, since the poster has opened the door, so to speak.

Just an idea.
I think this is a great idea. 
I think many people are reluctant to comment on most of the images here as there are very few that are posted that really need some type of "fixing".
When someone asks how to fix this or that, then I think you'll get many more comments and recommendations of possible ways to fix the image.
Dick Ludwig

by Terence P. Brashear on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:26 pm
Terence P. Brashear
Forum Contributor
Member #:00600
I used to comment regularly in the Bird forum, but I find that many images, while technically amazing, are the same thing over, and over again.  When I do comment it is on something that I know took some effort to get or shows a unique behavior others have not captured.

Hard to believe it has been 13 years already.  Seems like yesterday we were laughing at AlexC's shenanigans, and meeting each other out in the field.

Thanks for the site Greg, I really have enjoyed the ride thus far.
Terence P. Brashear
San Diego, CA
http://www.naturepixels.com
NSN #600

by Karl Egressy on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:34 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Just one more thought Greg before I shut up.
Would it be possible to view the images in the black box of their full size,1280 pixels that is, without having to click on the image?
The images with the black around at full size are so much more attractive and show the intended sharpness and detail.
I suspect that most people don't go that far to click on the image and they miss the true beauty of the images.

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:32 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:Would it be possible to view the images in the black box of their full size,1280 pixels that is, without having to click on the image?
The images with the black around at full size are so much more attractive and show the intended sharpness and detail.
I suspect that most people don't go that far to click on the image and they miss the true beauty of the images.
Couldn't agree more with Karl on this.

by david fletcher on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:02 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
what a wonderful and important question.  why do we post.  I've tried to go through and read all before I make my own comment which is not influenced by previous posts.

my own take is primarily for two reasons.

1.  recognition of an image that in my view is worthy.  that might be for various reasons.  image content, impact, sheer pleasure.   either way, excellence should be applauded and recognised.  everyone of us really knows what went into each image.

2.  a duty to share and encourage members that are on the path we have had the benefit of.  

there are many reasons why people post.  PRAISE AND RECOGNITION.   need to promote own business.  there are many that do both.  in this respect, we will not be able to alter that need as I feel in an ideal situation, this sites strength is the bench mark it sets with the encouragement to develop.  One particular other site seems overly critical on aesthetics and composition and are ott to the point of sterilisation by moderators that have insufficient skills and qualifications.  

to me, this sites strength is that THOSE who do participate with comments are able to move members forward.   

I quoted a friend of mine with this...

If you want to fly like an eagle, you must roost with them,"      He thought I was barking mad.   totally over his head.

All, You are the eagles.  the premier.... to associate with you means that eventually, your knowledge and experience is shared and passed on.  

can there not be a better reason to share info.  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ron Day on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:28 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Tim Zurowski wrote:
Karl Egressy wrote:Would it be possible to view the images in the black box of their full size,1280 pixels that is, without having to click on the image?
Couldn't agree more with Karl on this.
I agree with Karl and Tim, the sharpness and detail in the full sized image reveals the maker's true intent, and is so much more attractive than the compressed version.

by amp5213 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:56 pm
amp5213
Lifetime Member
Member #:00406
I think way back when NSN first started digital photography was relatively new and that allowed people to learn photography a lot faster which made for a lot of interaction between regular posters on NSN.   NSN was and still is a great resource for  learning about the existing and newest technologies.  Along with the advent of digital photography, my memory is that the price of long autofocus lenses started coming down around the same time which made bird and wildlife photography more accessible to the masses.  Along with being a great help technically, NSN was a great place to get constructive criticism on our photographs especially in bird and wildlife photography.  As Jim Neeley said in one of the earlier comments, there was a relatively small group of photographers who all became friends through NSN who helped each other by posting photos, comments and constructive criticism on NSN. I still consider these folks my friends although there are a few that I still haven't met personally. I still check NSN everyday to check the galleries and forums but usually post my photos on 500px and Facebook now.  If I see a photo on NSN that really strikes me as something different or unusual, I will comment on it but thats all I tend to post now.

by OntPhoto on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:22 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
amp5213 wrote:Along with the advent of digital photography, my memory is that the price of long autofocus lenses started coming down around the same time which made bird and wildlife photography more accessible to the masses.  

The game changer was the Canon 300D Digital Rebel back in 2003.  The first DSLR camera to be priced under $1,500 Canadian.  Most DSLR's back then were selling for around $3,000+.     

My first lens purchase was Canon's first ever image stabilized lens, the 75-300 IS. I still have it.  Should have sold it a long time ago.  A sort of museum piece now.  In hindsight it was a bit of clunker but the lens along with the 300D gave me my first insight to what a DSLR could do.  I was hooked.

The Canon 300D was soon followed by the Canon 20D, Canon XT and similarly low-priced DSLR's from Nikon.  Marketing was smart.  Make the first investment (the camera itself) reasonable and let them get a taste of the fun and ease of digital photography.  People will then naturally want to improve their photography and eventually spend money on better lenses etc.  And upgrade to better cameras.  But before the masses were willing to do that, they had to get their first taste of DSLR photography and image quality. Thank you Canon for seeing the light and showing the way :-)

I cut my teeth on DPR.  Learned a lot there and it had a thriving forum with a community feel. 

by DChan on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:11 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote: But before the masses were willing to do that, they had to get their first taste of DSLR photography and image quality.
Even though the masses don't care much about image quality, and to many of them content is more important? That's what the masses are to me. Photography enthusiasts are the minority. Just read a couple of pieces of photo news saying canon sales of camera's down, unit sales of Sony's sensors also went down. Just because someone is using a dslr doesn't mean he or she is, like some of us here, into photography big time, buying lens after lens and upgrading their camera year after year. I'd say they're the one-camera-one-zoom-lens type of users. I don't think image quality would change the mind of most of them. After all, many are happy with what smart phone cameras are giving them. Does that not tell you something about the real world??

What makes me not comment? After a while, it seems to me the comments here are like those on flcker...well, at least like when I used that.

by Todd Bauer on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:16 pm
Todd Bauer
Forum Contributor
Member #:02032
What almost always compels me to comment is a specific question about how to improve a photo (rare). What always compels me to comment is a specific question on how to improve a photo, and I am certain that I know the answer (rarer, still). Other than that, it's a coin toss.
Todd Bauer
Houston, TX

by bikinchris on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:08 pm
bikinchris
Forum Contributor
I always look at the editors choice images first when I come here. Then I often go to the galleries for birds, wildlife, landscapes and travel.
I should comment more, and I will try, because I am very inspired to try to improve my photography when I see such images. The images here are as good if not better than anywhere on the internet. I would like to see more information about taking the photos.

If the photographer asks for comments, I would probably do so more often, like the post above my said.

Maybe you should put a check box for the photographer to allow the image to be shared (in a small size) over twitter and or instagram if chosen as an editors pick.
Chris
http://www.eaglewheel.us

by pleverington on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:29 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Hey Greg...Where are you bro?? You asked a question to the membership and we answered...... What do you think???

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by Greg Downing on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:28 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Thanks all for chiming in!

I've been out of the country since before the first of the year thus I am just getting to go through all the responses but again thanks!

Greg
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

103 posts |