Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by kferris on Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:35 pm
kferris
Forum Contributor
When I use roll paper (8.3 inch or 13 inch width), the printer rolls out about 5 inches of paper before it starts printing. It does this regardless of whatever settings I use (auto cut, manual cut, single cut, double cut, etc.).

I contacted Epson, and their reply was to load the paper with the control panel set to "Roll Paper Auto Cut". I had tried this and it didn't work. With this setting, it rolls out the 5 inches of paper, prints the image, then cuts the paper in the correct spot after finished printing.

Every image printed on roll paper has 5 inches of extra paper at the begining that must be cut off afterward.

I have spoken with someone else who had this problem and couldn't fix it (and Epson's instructions do not work). Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

by Larry Kaufman on Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:16 pm
Larry Kaufman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00297
Make sure the following two printer settings are on via the printers control panel:
Paper Size Check & Sheet Size Check. If they are off the printer will feed additional roll media as it does not know where the lead edge is and wants to ensure that it is not just spraying ink on the platen. The printer is operating "normally" if it retracts paper back to the lead edge before printing the job. To confirm I just did a quick test on my 4000. If I set the control panel on the printer to "Roll Paper Autocut" and sent an 8x10 to 10" premium luster roll paper with normal cut set in the driver I get a 5/8" lead and trailing edge margin. Not bad. :D

I know some people have turned these off due to difficulty getting manual sheet media to load straight. It is a knack :shock:

Single cut and Double cut refer to options for borderless printing on roll. If not doing borderless then Normal cut is all that is required.

If still unresolved, It would also help to understand what kind of page layout you are trying to print, and how the driver is setup to accomplish that. Also are these one off prints or multiple prints. In other words, is the next job waiting to print or has the printer gone idle in between?

Hope this helps you make some progress
- Larry

by kferris on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:49 pm
kferris
Forum Contributor
Larry,

Thanks for your response. I will give it a try. I am printing panoramic pictures, one image at a time (user defined paper size, 13" x 36"). I am not sending multiple images to the printer.

Kevn

by pmiles on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:33 pm
pmiles
Forum Contributor
Hi kevin.
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
I'm currently having the same problem with 13 inch roll media on both my epson 4000's. I get and extra 5 inches on the leading margin on every print.
Oddly though, on 17 inch roll and 10inch roll media both epson 4000 printers prints the leading margin normally.

regards
Peter

by pmiles on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 pm
pmiles
Forum Contributor
kferris wrote:Larry,

Thanks for your response.  I will give it a try.  I am printing panoramic pictures, one image at a  time (user defined paper size, 13" x 36").  I am not sending multiple images to the printer.

Kevn

Hi Kevn
I'm having the same problem with both my epson 4000's.
5 inch extra on the leading margin when printing on 13 inch roll media.

oddly though on 10 inch and 17 inch wide media the epson 4000's print the leading margin normally. It's only the 13 inch media that it adds the 5 inches.

Did you find a solution?
Thanks
pmiles

by kferris on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:59 am
kferris
Forum Contributor
Peter,

I had the Epson 4000 up until about three years ago, and I never did figure out how to avoid this problem.

6 posts |