All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:26 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Years ago, when the primary output was the print, getting your monitor color calibrated so the print would turn out as expected was a big thing, but today, when the primary output is someone else's monitor or TV, color calibrations of your monitor could be a bad thing as it would tend to make things look weird on the typical monitor or TV.  What are you guys doing to properly address this issue given the shift in focus to monitors and TV?

Brian

by DavidSutton on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:18 am
DavidSutton
Forum Contributor
I do nothing.
Monitor calibration is done to get some sort of predictability into the printing process.
We have no control over how someone else's screen or projector is set up. Or indeed its quality.
I find if my monitor is calibrated to match my print output, at least an image will tend to look reasonable on another calibrated monitor. Regardless of their profile settings. Trying to second guess everyone else's viewing conditions will probably make a photo always look wrong.
All bets are off for phones.
David
David Sutton

by Brian Stirling on Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:56 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Well that's been my thought as well -- if the intended output is someone else's TV or monitor adjusting on a calibrated monitor will almost certainly result in odd looking issues when viewed on the other persons TV or monitor so best to leave the editing monitor at something close to default settings as default settings tend to be similar. So, what would be good is to switch between uncalibrated/default settings when the intended output is to TV or monitor but calibrated when outputting to a printer.

Brian

by Ed Cordes on Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:05 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I see this thread is kind of old, but I have not read it until today. What I do is ensure my monitor is calibrated so when I process I can print without issue. Then for email, Facebook, etc, I convert the finished product to sRGB to avoid, as much as possible, weird colors on others' monitors.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

4 posts |