All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by James W. Milligan on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:52 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
I am using a 3880 printer and would like to settle in on two types of paper. If you were to pick two papers one for matte and one for PK ink what would you pick? I prefer a smooth surface paper although a slight texture for the matte finish is fine.   

by DavidSutton on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:42 pm
DavidSutton
Forum Contributor
There's no substitute for buying sample packs and printing the same test image on likely candidates from each pack. I use this one:
cdn.northlight-images.co.uk/downloadable_2/Test_Image_2.zip

Often paper is image specific, particularly when it comes to printing in B&W or colour.
Having said that, I like Moab's Somerset Museum Rag for MK inks (a very smooth paper and holds an amazing amount of detail) and for PK inks Ilford Gold Fibre Silk for colour, and Epson Legacy Baryta for B&W.
David
David Sutton

by James W. Milligan on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:14 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
DavidSutton wrote:There's no substitute for buying sample packs and printing the same test image on likely candidates from each pack. I use this one:
cdn.northlight-images.co.uk/downloadable_2/Test_Image_2.zip

Often paper is image specific, particularly when it comes to printing in B&W or colour.
Having said that, I like Moab's Somerset Museum Rag for MK inks (a very smooth paper and holds an amazing amount of detail) and for PK inks Ilford Gold Fibre Silk for colour, and Epson Legacy Baryta for B&W.
David
HI,thanks for the input it is helpful and I have tried two of the papers mentioned. I feel it is time to stay with a few papers and really get to  know how they render the image. Thanks again!
Jim

by bradmangas on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:59 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I have basically done just this myself. The past year I have tested 6-8 each (fine art papers) in two categories of paper types. I wanted a go to paper in the high dmax range such as a semigloss/satin or similar to a baryta, and something with a smooth matte finish. These are the two I settled on. I print on Canon equipment and these papers produce beautiful prints.

I recommend at least checking some samples of these out.

Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag

Canson Infinity Rag Photographique

by James W. Milligan on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:59 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
bradmangas wrote:I have basically done just this myself. The past year I have tested 6-8 each (fine art papers) in two categories of paper types. I wanted a go to paper in the high dmax range such as a semigloss/satin or similar to a baryta, and something with a smooth matte finish. These are the two I settled on. I print on Canon equipment and these papers produce beautiful prints.

I recommend at least checking some samples of these out.

Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag

Canson Infinity Rag Photographique
Thanks for the suggestion. I have used the Musuo brand from Canson and found it to be a good paper that gives me a nice reproduction of my screen image. I will check out a sample pack.

by Primus on Wed May 01, 2019 1:13 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I have an Epson surecolor P9000 and a P800 and have gone through the usual tests with a variety of papers. I liked Canson's baryta papers a lot, rate it higher than Epson's own, also used a lot of Epson Canvas - matte, satin and gloss. Tried matte papers - Breathing Color, Epson, Hahnemuhle. Then I also did the super glossy ones including metallic papers from Epson and Moab - the Slickrock silver.

After all the tests  - done with the same target image from Northlight (for B&W) and others from around the net for color, I've picked the following as my favorites.

1. Best D-Max, deepest blacks and contrast - Baryta
2. Best metallic - Moab Slickrock silver
3. Best Matte - Epson Hot Press Bright
4. Best Canvas - Epson Canvas Gloss - the B&W images on this truly are amazing.

For the baryta papers I've found Simply Elegant brand to be the most cost-effective and almost as good as Canson. I print using Ilford Galerie profile that gives me the most accurate colors. The company that makes it is ITSupplies (previously atlex.com) and the rep there told me that there are only a handful of companies that actually make these papers and all the other sellers simply rebrand them. Don't know how true this is, but their prices and service is hard to beat.

My biggest problem with the Baryta paper is that is scuffs and scratches very easily and sometimes the printer leaves slight smudge marks as it pulls the paper along, most noticeable in continuous tone dark areas like sunset skies.

For me, the overall best paper - all things considered is the Epson Hot Press Bright. I love the feel, the way it shows B&W images and the fact that it does not scratch easily.

here is a link for the Simply Elegant Baryta.

https://www.itsupplies.com/Inkjet-Photo ... %20elegant

Pradeep

6 posts |