« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 24 posts | 
by Royce Howland on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:11 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Doug, I infer that you're creating your own custom printer profiles with i1Studio as well as the monitor profile. If you like, you can email a monitor and printer profile to me and I'll take a look at them with some tools to see if anything in there appears to be off. If not, then it's back to looking at colour management settings in the print pipeline, possible operating system issues (usually just a factor on Mac OS X, not Windows), dealing with ambient lighting on how that needs to be accounted for when matching paper to screen, the image content itself and how it matches up well (or less well) to the chosen combo of ink & paper, etc.
Royce Howland

by dbolt on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:00 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
Thanks, Royce. I'll PM them shortly.
The PC runs Win10 Pro and has a Nvidia GTX 760 display adapter. PS-CC is up-to-date.

doug
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by Royce Howland on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:21 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Doug, sorry for the long delay getting back to you on this. I did receive your sample profiles, and finally got the time today to look at them.

On the whole, the monitor profile looks decent. The monitor is billed as a wide gamut display, but doesn't cover quite as much gamut as most current models that advertise coverage of Adobe RGB. Still, everything about the monitor profile looks good, clean and normal, even for an 80 cd/m2 calibration luminance target. So I don't suspect any problem there.

The sample printer profile is another matter. I'm familiar with the current Epson inkset which is found in the P800 (a model I've not used much hands-on) as well as a variety of the large format printers (which I've used a lot). Given that the test paper you calibrated was Costco Glossy Photo paper, I was expecting a certain sort of colour range, black level, etc. What I saw was very far away from what I was expecting to see. The colour gamut is incredibly restricted for a glossy paper, and the black level also doesn't hit nearly as black as I was expecting. There also appears to be something quite weird with the internal tables that govern the Perceptual rendering intent, since looking at that RI in one of my diagnostic tools produced a really whacked-out visualization. The Colorimetric RI looked more normal, just really restricted from what it should be.

So either there's a big issue with that Costco paper that makes it very unsuitable for use, or there's an issue in the creation of the printer profile.

I haven't had a chance to do any hands-on tests of the i1Studio software yet. Perhaps if you have time and have not already resolved this issue, you could post screenshots of the various settings screens in the i1Studio application and we can talk through what's possibly going on in there on a calibration run-through.
Royce Howland

by dbolt on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:21 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
Royce,

Thanks for evaluating the profiles. As you correctly determined, the problem is with the printer profile I created with the i1Studio. I gotta run now, but I'll be happy to pursue the issue in more detail tomorrow.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

24 posts |