« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by James W. Milligan on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:56 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
I can't seem to make the MK ink setting stick .Paper profile is for matte but will switch back to PK. It seems that there is a setting for the PK ink is stuck. I tried both PS and LR and the results are the same. Also manually set ink to MR through the menu function but as soon as I hit print it reverts back to PK.  

by Justin C on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:30 pm
Justin C
Forum Contributor
James W. Milligan wrote:I can't seem to make the MK ink setting stick .Paper profile is for matte but will switch back to PK. It seems that there is a setting for the PK ink is stuck. I tried both PS and LR and the results are the same. Also manually set ink to MR through the menu function but as soon as I hit print it reverts back to PK.  

The paper profile doesn't affect the switching process but the settings in the print driver do. You need to double check your selecting a media type that uses the MK ink and be sure MK ink is selected otherwise as soon as you select print the printer will switch to whatever black ink is required for the paper type, i.e. media type setting.
Justin

by James W. Milligan on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:33 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Justin C wrote:
James W. Milligan wrote:I can't seem to make the MK ink setting stick .Paper profile is for matte but will switch back to PK. It seems that there is a setting for the PK ink is stuck. I tried both PS and LR and the results are the same. Also manually set ink to MR through the menu function but as soon as I hit print it reverts back to PK.  

The paper profile doesn't affect the switching process but the settings in the print driver do. You need to double check your selecting a media type that uses the MK ink and be sure MK ink is selected otherwise as soon as you select print the printer will switch to whatever black ink is required for the paper type, i.e. media type setting.

In the past if I used a paper profile for matte the ink set would automatically to the correct ink. In Lightroom I can choose matte for for the proper paper ICC. However,the PK ink set will not change. In PS there isn't a setting for choosing the ink set -at least I can'y seem to find it in the window.

by signgrap on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:00 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
If the 3880 works the same as the SC P800 - the settings on your computer over-ride the settings on the printer.
So if you have set the printer to use MK ink (paper type) but the printer is setup to use a PK ink (paper type/paper profile) the computer overrides the printer settings and PK ink will be used.
Dick Ludwig

by James W. Milligan on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:20 am
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
signgrap wrote:If the 3880 works the same as the SC P800 - the settings on your computer over-ride the settings on the printer.
So if you have set the printer to use MK ink (paper type) but the printer is setup to use a PK ink (paper type/paper profile) the computer overrides the printer settings and PK ink will be used.

OK,I understand that,so where is the setting in the computer? Is it located in PS, LR, or some other place. I have searched and can't locate this fixed setting.

by James W. Milligan on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:57 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the help and the suggestions. The actual problem required a disk utility repair for the printer. Once that was accomplished the missing window for the ink settings was visible. The folks a Epsom were very helpful and patient.

6 posts |