« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by kferris on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:50 am
kferris
Forum Contributor
Occasionally my Epson 3880 will stop printing before the print is completed.  The print progress meter will suddenly show that the printer is not ready for printing.  It is as if a connection is lost, but all the connections are fine.  This would also happen with my Epson 4000 occasionally as well.  I have it on a large printer cart, but it still has a little wiggle when printing and I wonder if the small vibration may cause the problem.  Has anyone else experienced this, and did they find a solution?  

by Kerry on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:13 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
This is likely not the issue, but are any of the ink cartridges exhausted?

by 1fspeed on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:19 am
1fspeed
Forum Contributor
I have a similar issue with my 3880. Printing stops roughly half way through - printer display show "printing" but remains idle and is unresponsive to any button presses and have to unplug it to reset. It feels random, but after I disabled 16bit printing seems to happen less often (still occurs maybe 1 out of 15-20 prints).  Of note my printer is connected to a network router in another part of the house.  

by kferris on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:05 am
kferris
Forum Contributor
Kerry wrote:This is likely not the issue, but are any of the ink cartridges exhausted?

Kerry,

Thanks for the input.  The inks are ok.  usually it happens about once in every 15 prints.    When I was printing yesterday, it happened four times in a row.   Frustrating when I was printing on 17" x 22" metallic paper.  I had run off about 10 prints a week ago on the same paper, and they were all fine.

by kferris on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:09 am
kferris
Forum Contributor
1fspeed wrote:I have a similar issue with my 3880. Printing stops roughly half way through - printer display show "printing" but remains idle and is unresponsive to any button presses and have to unplug it to reset. It feels random, but after I disabled 16bit printing seems to happen less often (still occurs maybe 1 out of 15-20 prints).  Of note my printer is connected to a network router in another part of the house.  

iFspeed,  That is what happens with my 3880.  Similar thing would also happen with my 4000 a few years ago (different printer and computer back then).  The frequency you describe is also very similar.  I am not connected to a network.  I reinstalled the driver and I will also try replacing the USB cable to see if this helps.  

by kferris on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:11 am
kferris
Forum Contributor
I did notice that just before this occurs, I get the same chime as when I plug in a USB device. I will need to look into that issue as well.

by bartley123 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:51 am
bartley123
Forum Contributor
I'd guess it's a software problem, had those with my 3800. The print software spools the data being printed to a file in the temp folder (windows). If the temp folder doesn't get cleaned out occasionaly the garbage left behind seems to somehow get in the way and cause errors similar to yours. That pretty much took care of problems I was having. The temp folder is not the one under the c:/temp folder but is located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp in windows 10.
Don Cooper
Western Mass.
http://www.doncooper.photos

by kferris on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:53 am
kferris
Forum Contributor
bartley123 wrote:I'd guess it's a software problem, had those with my 3800. The print software spools the data being printed to a file in the temp folder (windows). If the temp folder doesn't get cleaned out occasionaly the garbage left behind seems to somehow get in the way and cause errors similar to yours. That pretty much took care of problems I was having. The temp folder is not the one under the c:/temp folder but is located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp in windows 10.

Don,

Thanks for the response.  I found the Temp folder and there is a Photoshop Temp file that is visible when Photoshop is open and disappears when I close Photoshop.  Do I delete everything in that Temp directory, or only the Photoshop Temp file?  If it is the Photoshop temp file that needs to be deleted, how do I delete it?

Thanks again  

by kferris on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:13 pm
kferris
Forum Contributor
A quick follow up. I tried deleting the temp files but that didn't work. However, when I tried printing from other programs (Lightroom, and Photozoom) I didn't encounter this problem. I am guessing the problem has to do with printing from Photoshop.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:33 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Try reseting your photoshop preferences. this likely will fix the problem. Before you do this, make sure you save your workspace settings so that you can get back to your configuration quickly. Here's how to reset the preferences:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using ... ences.html

10 posts |