Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by 06Honda on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:23 am
06Honda
Forum Contributor
I am looking for some ideas on the best way to present the photo below for an upcoming public exhibit. This is the last image to do and would like to have one done in a nice frame/mat or another format. I normally don't do this only use my images digitally so any suggestions are most welcome. Of course there is not right or wrong way whatever is pleasing to my eye. It may be better to have the owl off centre slightly? Original image is 6000 x 4000 around 3.7mb out of a D7200. The largest size so far is an 8 x 10 image on core foam board and matted so having this one the largest may be the way to go. Thanks again and have a good week.
I am looking for some ideas on the best way to present the photo below for an upcoming public exhibit. This is the last image to do and would like to have one done in a nice frame/mat or another format. I normally don't do this only use my images digitally so any suggestions are most welcome. Of course there is not right or wrong way whatever is pleasing to my eye. It may be better to have the owl off centre slightly? Original image is 6000 x 4000 around 3.7mb out of a D7200. The largest size so far is an 8 x 10 image on core foam board and matted so having this one the largest may be the way to go. Thanks again and have a good week.

Something similar to this? What would be the smallest crop to still get a decent looking print? Original is 6000 x 3000 3.7mb.

Last edited by 06Honda on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

by bartley123 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:25 am
bartley123
Forum Contributor
My opinion which really isn't worth too much, but here it is. I'd crop the image so the snowy is in the upper top left of the crop keeping everything from the bottom of the image (fence wires). Definitely get the bird out of the center of the image.
Don Cooper
Western Mass.
http://www.doncooper.photos

by Craig Lipski on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:04 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
I agree with Don, for whatever that’s worth. It gets the bird into a more interesting “rule of thirds” position, crops out the dark bush, and the fence wire makes a good lead-in to the subject.

by Craig Lipski on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:08 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
I really like the repost / crop.

by bartley123 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:31 pm
bartley123
Forum Contributor
06Honda wrote:I am looking for some ideas on the best way to present the photo below for an upcoming public exhibit. This is the last image to do and would like to have one done in a nice frame/mat or another format. I normally don't do this only use my images digitally so any suggestions are most welcome. Of course there is not right or wrong way whatever is pleasing to my eye. It may be better to have the owl off centre slightly? Original image is 6000 x 4000 around 3.7mb out of a D7200. The largest size so far is an 8 x 10 image on core foam board and matted so having this one the largest may be the way to go. Thanks again and have a good week.

Something similar to this? What would be the smallest crop to still get a decent looking print? Original is 6000 x 3000 3.7mb.
I think you nailed it.
Don Cooper
Western Mass.

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:01 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
The off-center crop looks very nice.

As for framing, the latest love of the public in general is prints on metal (or Fujicolor Crystal paper), but those work best with photographs that have bright colors or time exposures of the night sky.

Since you have trees, weeds and wood, a print on canvas may work very well to keep that rustic look.

If you want to do a framed print, you don't need glass in the frame. That look is making a comeback.

Good luck with the exhibit.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by bartley123 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:50 pm
bartley123
Forum Contributor
One more consideration, if you flipped it horizontal then the fence wires would lead into the bird quite nicely.
Don Cooper
Western Mass.

by Craig Lipski on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:24 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Don’s thought is an interesting one, as I imagine that most of your audience reads from left to right. I can’t do it and look at it, (I’m on an iPad,) but it woul certainly be easy and worth checking out on PS or whatever you’re using.

8 posts |