All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Richard B. on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:55 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Has anyone had Epson P800 clogging issues when the printer is unused for a long period of time? I have a friend who wants to leave his P800 at his Florida residence for the summer months but is concerned with possible ink clogging if unused. The property is air conditioned and will be maintained, so humidity should not be a problem. Choices seem to be - 1. just shut it off and hope for the best. 2. Leave it powered up, just sitting there, protected by a ups and surge protector. We think the printer does an automatic periodic ink charge in that status. 3. Leave the printer turned on and do/try a weekly remote print via wireless from his summer location. 

Tough problem to have  :lol: !

Any real world experience out there with inactive 800's? 

Thanks. 

Richard 

by signgrap on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:57 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I bought my SC-P800 about 6 months after they were first released and have never had a clogging issue. I've left the P800 turned completely off and unused for well over a month a number of times and its always worked without issue. Have your friend leave the temperature set as high as he's comfortable setting it, as low humidity could cause more clogging problems. Just before he leaves take the ink cartridges out and slowly agitate the cartridge to keep the pigment from settling out and put them back in. He should also do a Nozzle Check and print a couple of prints. Make sure the printer is NOT left in moving air from an A/C vent.
Dick Ludwig

by Richard B. on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:31 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Thanks Dick. I'll pass along the suggestions.

Richard

by SMB on Tue May 29, 2018 7:51 am
SMB
Forum Contributor
Had a 3800 in the tropics that would clog with long periods of disuse. It finally died after 10+ years of service.
Have the p800 now (living in Va.) and it has never clogged even will long periods without printing. The above ideas are reasonable but I think the p800 machine is just better. Epson is said to have improved their inks for the Sure Color generation and maybe that has helped with clogging. (Or maybe changing the cartridge was meant to render older machine obsolete!)
Stan

4 posts |