All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:16 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I just got a Canon Pixma iP8720 6-color printer and noticed something odd when printing a 13x19 print from PS.  The image was from a Nikon D800E and was therefore 3:2 aspect and the image wasn't cropped.  So, I selected the A3+ 13"x19" 33x48cm paper size and Canon Photo Paper Pro Platinum and specified landscape as well as "Scale to fit Media" then printed it.  But, the printed output had about a quarter inch border on one end and over 2 inches border on the other end so that the printed image was offset to the left when viewed in landscape.  If I print the image from within Canon's Easy-PhotoPrint EX app the printed imaged is perfectly center top and bottom and left and right.

OK, so what am I doing wrong when printing within PS?  I'm using PS CC and have the latest updates installed.

Brian

by Ed Cordes on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:54 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Brian, I use a different printer, but I think the process is the same. First, I resize the image to make the vertical (landscape) size of the image 13 inches. This usually makes the image 13 X 19 1/2 at 300 ppi. I then crop the 1/2 inch off using the crop tool. This gives me the exact images I want to print. I prefer to print borderless for this size as when I mat the image it is easier to get it right. I, personally would not use Scale to Fit Media but rather just size the image as I want it to appear on the paper. I have never used the Canon Easy-Photo Print Ex app. I also always turn off all printer management by the printer and designate all printing color decisions to Photoshop. Be sure to select the proper icc profiles and paper type in the printer driver. I hope this helps.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by bradmangas on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:05 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I am going to make an assumption that the print dialog box for this particular printer has many of the same options as other canon printers. There is a check box on the initial print dialog screen for "center" or center printing" something to that effect. Check and make sure this is selected (checked) to center the printed area within the selected size of media you are using.
Personally I would not or do not recommend borderless prints, but this is a personal choice. Just make sure the final image is sized to fit within the size of the paper you select. I have been printing with canon printers for 15 or so years and have not had an issue as you described as long as the "center print" is selected.

On this initial print dialog screen you should see the size of your print as well such as 12x18 if that is what you have sized the file as, I believe just below or above the check box for center I mentioned. I'm not looking at the dialog screen at the moment so I am going from memory. Hope this helps.

3 posts |