Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Ed Okie on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:02 am
Ed Okie
Forum Contributor
Luminous Landscape's website features an interesting take on the printing process, an in-depth behind the scenes look while printing a very difficult subject - Arctic white snow. Australian photo pro Joshua Holko is the author, an obvious expert with the camera... and likewise fully involved with the inkjet printing process - much like NatureScapes' resident print expert Royce Howland who is equally accomplished. It's well worth a read. An opening excerpt:
[Joshua Holko} "I love to print. For me, the photographic print is not only the final end result of the photographic process but is importantly the ultimate expression of my work. The online jpeg is nothing more than a poor facsimile of the finished fine art print; whereas the finished print is the medium in which I prefer to have my photography viewed....
   "I have in the past written about my need to print and spoken to the fact that I never really feel like I have finished with a photograph until I have made a print. The journey and process is extremely satisfying to me and the print is the final finish line for each photograph. Honestly, not every image makes it over the line, but those that do give me a great deal of satisfaction."
   "Over the last few days, I have been working on a particular print that has proven to be the most difficult of my career thus far and I want to share how I finally achieved the perfect print of this photograph. It’s not a photograph that translates well in an online jpeg..."

https://luminous-landscape.com/the-toughest-print/

by stevenmajor on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:56 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Producing a print is the only way to control what the person looking at your image sees...scale, color balance, all of it.
Prints invite viewing, monitors shout presence.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I also love a good print but I don't print as much as I would like. It is expensive unless there is a need for the print. Printing just to create a stack of paper photographs isn't a good enough reason for me to just print...

by Ed Cordes on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:54 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Ed, this was a very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I have to get custom profiles.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Ed Okie on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 am
Ed Okie
Forum Contributor
Added followup: Print-quality potential. Naturescape's acknowledged print expert Royce Howland in Canada, months ago mentioned his ability to detect the difference in output of a 300 dpi file, versus 360 dpi. It caught my attention, "Superman X-Ray vision" skills, and I have no doubt about his observation and skills.
  Equally important for inkjet print quality, Royce's print-shop advocates plus accepts the submission of "high colorspace" files, even ProPhoto, along with Adobe sRGB - both significantly better than basic sRGB.
 The above quality-specifications are in stark contrast to, as an example: Miller's Pro Lab, they demand sRGB file submission only. Adorama, will accept Adobe sRGB... but apparently converts customer files to sRGB prior to printing. Aspen Lab, and Bay Photo much the same. It seems to hold true with most labs - production speed vs potential print quality. sRGB
  Miller's Pro Lab's "sRGB only" stands in vivid contrast to "all new printing machinery" installed in the past year, "Lamba" or ?? was the press release... big, better, faster and decidedly higher quality output.
  At the website, print orders, there is now a separate print-product called "Dream Prints," stating:  "This revolutionary printing process results in ultra-high image resolution and an enhanced color range that’s never been seen before. Featuring 7 dye-based inks and available on premium paper options, you can achieve vibrant color reproduction, boosted clarity and crisp detail."
   "What makes Dream Prints different from traditional photographic prints?
   "Dream Prints are produced with a unique, Giclee printing process that provides higher image detail than traditional photographic printing. Using 7 dye-based inks, Dream Prints offer improved color reproduction, a wider color gamut, and enhanced image clarity."

Two odd aspects: "wider color gamut," yet the "sRGB only" mandate remains.
  Premium priced?  "Dream Prints" using the all-new 7 dye-based inks, prints are priced - the same as - "normal" prints.
  Has anyone experienced a comparative? Or is it another example of pure hype?

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:29 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Somehow, I am always suspicious of the hype when the word "giclee" is thrown in the mix! Is "inkjet" a dirty low-class word??? What I find curious, not being an expert with different papers, is the difference in sharpness and color rendition with their different papers. This is most noticeable in the eyes and hair in the prints I link to below. I have always found glossy paper to be much sharper than the examples presented in their comparison.

http://www.millerslab.com/dream-prints/features

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DavidSutton on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:46 am
DavidSutton
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Somehow, I am always suspicious of the hype when the word "giclee" is thrown in the mix!  Is "inkjet" a dirty low-class word??? 

You are quite right about the word "giclée". It's a neologism invented in, I think, 1991 by a printmaker at Nash Editions, Jack Duganne. He was looking for a word that would be fancier than "inkjet".
Unfortunately he didn't speak French.
Otherwise he would have known that giclée is also the slang word for "to ejaculate".
When you see this word you know that someone either hasn't done their homework, or you are getting mutton dressed as lamb.
David
David Sutton

by chez on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:50 pm
chez
Forum Contributor
PE.J. Peiker wrote:I also love a good print but I don't print as much as I would like.  It is expensive unless there is a need for the print.  Printing just to create a stack of paper photographs isn't a good enough reason for me to just print...
I make a lot of photo books of my images so I can share them without sitting around a monitor. I find people actually holding the book / print get a totally different experience than passively sitting back and watching images go by on a screen.
Harry Ogloff

by Ed Cordes on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:21 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Is it just me and my monitor or at all the sample prints on the site linked to by SantaFeJoe poor? I seem to find flaws in all of them and they are small size. I can't imagine what a 16X20 would look like.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

9 posts |