« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Ed Cordes on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:31 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I have read the posts regarding printing on canvas and I have searched on line for how to figure out the process for sizing an image for canvas gallery wrap. I must just not "get it".  I realize that the printer - Canon Pixma Pro 1 - will leave a relatively small boarder vertically, and a 30 mm border on each horizontal edge.  However the issue is that the horizontal dimension of the image is cropped off by the printer.  If I resize the image to the expected 10 X 16 resulting image area on 13 X 19 canvas then I do not have enough image to wrap around the stretcher boards.  What am I missing?  Do I have to print the image at a size of 10 X 16 and then use 1 inch smaller stretcher boards for the final display?  If there is a detailed tutorial I would appreciate being directed to it.  Thanks.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by aolander on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:52 am
aolander
Forum Contributor
If you want the final image to be 10 x 16 (and none of it wrapped around the frame) and the stretcher bars are 10 x 16 x 1.5 thick, then you have to print the image on a canvas that is 2-3 inches larger on all sides.  In other words, the canvas will need to be 14 x 20 to 16 x 22.  You need a 17" printer to print that size of an image on a canvas that will be wrapped.  With your printer, you are limited to much smaller image sizes.  The largest image you could print with your printer without wrapping any of it around the edges would be only 8-9" on the short side and, of course, you would have to use a correspondingly smaller stretcher frame.

To use the print you have (10 x 16 on 13 x 19 canvas), the stretcher frame would have to be 9 x 15 at the most, and some of the image will be wrapped around the edge.

That's one problem with printing your own canvases;  you need a large format printer.  Instead of wrapping canvas on stretcher bars, mount it flat on a substrate like gator board with an adhesive like "Miracle Muck" and put that in a frame.

Like this:

https://www.breathingcolor.com/blog/framing-canvas/
Alan Olander
Minnesota

Last edited by aolander on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Mark Picard on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:41 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:I have read the posts regarding printing on canvas and I have searched on line for how to figure out the process for sizing an image for canvas gallery wrap. I must just not "get it".  I realize that the printer - Canon Pixma Pro 1 - will leave a relatively small boarder vertically, and a 30 mm border on each horizontal edge.  However the issue is that the horizontal dimension of the image is cropped off by the printer.  If I resize the image to the expected 10 X 16 resulting image area on 13 X 19 canvas then I do not have enough image to wrap around the stretcher boards.  What am I missing?  Do I have to print the image at a size of 10 X 16 and then use 1 inch smaller stretcher boards for the final display?  If there is a detailed tutorial I would appreciate being directed to it.  Thanks.

Ed - I exclusively use Breathing Color's canvas (Lyve) and their stretcher bars for all my canvases. Check out their specific blog post here: 
https://www.breathingcolor.com/blog/4-o ... as-prints/ for lots of stretching info, including different ways of the actual stretching with measurements, etc. In addition to the standard method of stretching, they also offer a method called "EasyWrap" that I recommend to you as being the easiest way to do your own canvases. Try the 1.25" version first. They even have a high discount first customer stretcher kit to get your feet wet in the beginning. Good Luck!
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Ed Cordes on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:30 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Thanks Alan and Mark for the good information. I will be printing some shortly. I have been practicing the color management stuff on small sheets of 8 1/2 X 11. I will give Breathing Color a try. The stretcher with Easy Wrap sounds good. Thanks again.

by bartley123 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:38 am
bartley123
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:Thanks Alan and Mark for the good information.  I will be printing some shortly.  I have been practicing the color management stuff on small sheets of 8 1/2 X 11.  I will give Breathing Color a try.  The stretcher with Easy Wrap sounds good.  Thanks again.
I use the 1-1/4" stretcher bars like Mark suggested. I've found simply making the print 3 inches larger (that would be 1-1/2" on the four sides) than the finished stretcher bars works out fine.  With that dimension it allows me to wrap the the canvas around the back of the frame slightly and staple it.
Don Cooper
Western Mass.
http://www.doncooper.photos

by Ed Cordes on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:58 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Thanks.  The challenge is to size and crop the image so I can have 1 1/2 inch on the sides to wrap and still allow for the area which won't print and still maintain a decent composition.  I find the composition ends up being somewhat different than originally processed.  I appreciate all the input.

by signgrap on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:17 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Ed Cordes wrote:Thanks.  The challenge is to size and crop the image so I can have 1 1/2 inch on the sides to wrap and still allow for the area which won't print and still maintain a decent composition.  I find the composition ends up being somewhat different than originally processed.  I appreciate all the input.
Ed my approach to this is to find a color that is either complementary or one that is a dominate color in the image; and use this color around the perimeter wrapping area. I find extending a mirror image of the photo around the wrapping area a bit strange. This wrap area is clearly not part of the image so why not take a color that complements the image and use that as a frame/border around the image. When a painter paints a canvas he/she doesn't try to paint a mirror image in the wrap area of the canvas. Painted canvas is usually framed when displayed and this wrap area is frequently left unpainted. I understand that you want to save money by putting something in this wrap area so a frame is not necessary. I frequently use a color that has been somewhat desaturated/muted and a bit darker so that the colored area does not draw attention from the image. I will put a colored border around the image in PS; trying different colors to find one that works best. Try this idea out in PS and when you find a color that works, make a small print and see it works as well on the print as it does on the monitor. 
Dick Ludwig

by Mark Picard on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:37 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Ed - take a look at ON1's Perfect Resize software  https://www.on1.com/products/resize10/? ... DQodZxgCCw  that not only can up res your images, it also has the ability to give you a border all around your image (you decide the dimensions) and then can either give you a mirrored image on the border or colors and opaqueness you desire,and is simple to use overall, without a huge learning curve. Al this can be accomplished in less than 5 minutes, ready to print. It is my "Go To" software for both enlarging and creating borders on images for canvases.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Ed Cordes on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:32 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Thanks again to all. The learning curve is certainly there in printing canvas, but it is fun.

by Ed Cordes on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:53 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Hi All, Thanks for all the replies. I actually solved the problem by selecting the proper paper icc profile but selecting "mat" paper instead of "canvas". The canvas setting demands a large border right and left. The mat setting allows fro borderless printing so the aspect ratio is maintained. Of course, I still must resize the image and add canvas to make up for the part of the images which will be wrapped around the edges. I also have to boost the contrast 12% and the brightness 10% to balance the colors. Since the icc is for the correct paper the color tonal range is correct. This is apparently an issue with the Canon Pixma Pro 1. In any case, I have made several prints using this method and am happy with the results.

10 posts |