« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Richard B. on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:38 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Hi, 

Just got an email from Atlex that the new printer is shipping now in two out of the three versions. I'm interested in this machine. Is anybody going to jump on this thing right away, or does the usual advice about waiting a while on new technology apply to printers also? I'm not interested in being a test site. BTW the site shows replacement 200 cartridges at around $90.

Richard

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Not right away but it would be what I would replace my 3880 with...

by Royce Howland on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:57 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Waiting applies to printers, as well. At our print shop, we were early buyers of the monster Epson P10000 and P20000 machines (44" and 64" high volume photo printers, respectively) over the past few months. We've had a lot of issues with both of them. The P10K is working well now, but the P20K is not. It had possibly the first service call for that model in Canada, and we'll probably need to make another service call on it. Problems have been mechanical, electronic, firmware, drivers, even a lack of ink availability, etc.

My advice is to give any new model a few months to shake out, unless you literally can't wait. We couldn't wait, so pulled the trigger early, and are paying for it with more downtime than should be expected out of brand-new state-of-the-art halo products. Except of course, I totally expect it... it's just disappointing to have my reduced expectations confirmed once again. :)
Royce Howland

3 posts |