« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by Joerg Rockenberger on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:16 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
I've always wondered a bit what to do with my test prints as just throwing them away seemed... weird. Anyway, today I found a use for them...

This is the first time I have a serious problem with my Epson R3000 printer and perhaps someone has a solution. I had loaded a 13x19in sheet, started the print and everything appeared fine so I walked away. After I got a notice on my laptop that the print had finished I went back to the printer and... noticed that it hadn't pulled in the paper any further but of course continued jetting but with no paper underneath the head. And only then it provided me with a notice that there was a paper jam...   :evil:

A test print quickly revealed massive streaks on the backside of the paper and along the leading and trailing paper edges. One nozzle was also clogged but a head cleaning resolved that. So, I used my old 13x19in test prints for the roller cleaning procedure the r3000 offers - basically just pulling sheets through the printer. Hence, don't throw the test prints away as it would have been prohibitively expensive to use new sheets. 

But while the problem is now much, much better there are still traces of excess ink on the roller and hence along the trailing/leading edges and backside of the sheets. Epson in its manual claims to have special cleaning sheets but they appear to be only available in A4 size which is too small. 

I stumbled upon a DPreview post suggesting to soak half of a sheet of cardboard with iso-propanol and pulling that through the printer. I am concerned that this may spread things even further around. Has anyone successfully tried that? Any other ideas? 

Thanks. Best, Joerg

by Wayne Fox on Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:11 pm
Wayne Fox
Forum Contributor
i would stay away from the cardboard, seems it could tear off small pieces. There are several sources for inkjet printer cleaning sheets. Might try those ...

an example http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/4 ... -Cleaning/

2 posts |