Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Mark Picard on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:10 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
For some strange reason I lost my "User Defined" setting (and other tricks also) that I used to fool the printer into being able to print 7x10 Red River scored cards out. I forgot what I did to "fool" the printer. I have printed out hundreds of these cards in the past, but when I went to print some again today I couldn't. The prints come out with a top margin that I can't get rid of. Somehow in years past I overcame that problem and was successful at using the 7x10 cards, even though I remember reading that you couldn't achieve this on the larger format printers like the 4880. My "User Defined" setting was the standard 8.5x11 setting with sheet feed paper, but for the life of me I can't remember how I did it! Thanks for your help. Here's what the file looks like - notice the off center setting to fool the printer.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Mikel on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:19 pm
Mikel
Forum Contributor
Not sure if this helps,
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=167281

by Mark Picard on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:49 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Mikel wrote:Not sure if this helps,
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=167281

Yeah, I found that too in my original 2009 post, but I have since tried all that again (thinking it would do the trick) but no dice. I have changed computers a couple of times since that post, but just kept and transferred the information over each time. For some reason I have lost whatever I did to the printer to allow me to print the 7x10 cards on the 4880. Thanks for that Google search though Mikel! 
Mark Picard

by signgrap on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:15 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Mark I didn't answer this at first because I had a 4800 not a 4880. But I think they are similar enough that it will piont you in the right direction.

Card Setup on Epson 4800

To print cards which are 7”x10” you need to turn OFF - Paper Size Check which is abbreviated PPR SIZE CHK on the printer menu.
After printer has gone through its pre-print nozzle checks and ends in the READY screen press the > MENU button (which also is the ENTER button).

Ready > Enter (Menu) > PRINTER SETUP > Enter (up arrow till you see) PPR SIZE CHK > Menu
You should see ON if the printer was in normal printing mode. 
Now press ˄ arrow to change the setting to OFF then press the > MENU to put a * in front of OFF (or ON) in order to set it permanently. So now the screen should look like this *OFF.
Then press the < arrow multiple times till you reach the Ready screen

I hope this helps
Dick Ludwig

by Mark Picard on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:52 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:Mark I didn't answer this at first because I had a 4800 not a 4880. But I think they are similar enough that it will piont you in the right direction.

Card Setup on Epson 4800

To print cards which are 7”x10” you need to turn OFF - Paper Size Check which is abbreviated PPR SIZE CHK on the printer menu.
After printer has gone through its pre-print nozzle checks and ends in the READY screen press the > MENU button (which also is the ENTER button).

Ready > Enter (Menu) > PRINTER SETUP > Enter (up arrow till you see) PPR SIZE CHK > Menu
Now press ˄ arrow to change the setting to OFF then press the > MENU to put a * in front of OFF (or ON) in order to set it permanently. So now the screen should look like this *OFF.

I hope this helps
Thanks Dick - I did that stuff a few days ago when I found this from Cynthia Crawford back in 2009:  http://churchillphotographer.blogspot.com/2008/05/turning-off-auto-paper-size-check-on.html
Still not cured as yet......
Mark Picard

by Mark Picard on Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:45 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Mark Picard wrote:
signgrap wrote:Mark I didn't answer this at first because I had a 4800 not a 4880. But I think they are similar enough that it will piont you in the right direction.

Card Setup on Epson 4800

I hope this helps
Thanks Dick - I did that stuff a few days ago when I found this from Cynthia Crawford back in 2009:  http://churchillphotographer.blogspot.com/2008/05/turning-off-auto-paper-size-check-on.html
Still not cured as yet......

Still not working - any other suggestions? 
Mark Picard

by Royce Howland on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:46 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Mark, if I read correctly, your issue is a top margin (i.e. the leading edge of the print as it comes out of the printer) that shouldn't be there. I see your example file has a white margin at the top. How much larger a margin are you getting, beyond what's in the file you're sending? Related to this, are you printing in borderless mode?
Royce Howland

by Mark Picard on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:28 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Royce Howland wrote:Mark, if I read correctly, your issue is a top margin (i.e. the leading edge of the print as it comes out of the printer) that shouldn't be there. I see your example file has a white margin at the top. How much larger a margin are you getting, beyond what's in the file you're sending? Related to this, are you printing in borderless mode?

Royce - Yes, that is correct, I'm getting a margin at the top {leading edge as it comes out of the printer}. I shut off borderless printing. I also shut off PPR Size CHK. The weird part to me is that I have printed hundreds of these cards this way in the past. As I mentioned before, It all of a sudden changed presumably on it's own. I did change computers since, but that shouldn't have made a difference. The margin seems to be about 1/4th inch too large at the top. My problem isn't as easy to fix as to just raise the image up, because the image needs to be positioned perfectly spaced for the scored cards in the middle too. I did try that method in the beginning when I first encountered the problem and then the image was being cut off at the edge (the image is spattered on the edges and they would cut off the image making one edge, the top edge, straight across with no spatter effect). I have files made up for about 120 images used in making these cards that are all the same and used to work fine. The cards were a decent seller (although more labor intensive than prints) and I hate to lose out on their sales. I also have a Epson 9900 that I have set up pretty much to print out canvases, so I don't want to keep switching out the settings each time I need to print cards. Plus, the 9900 doesn't have a paper tray which would make using it even more labor intensive. 
Mark Picard

by Royce Howland on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:07 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Okay, if you shut off borderless mode I think that's your smoking gun as to why you're getting a border. :) The 48xx series, like its large format floor-standing siblings, is not geared to start printing exactly at the leading edge of the paper. There is a non-printing border area that's a hardware limitation in all the normal printing modes. On the leading edge it's small, less than 1/4", but it's there and it's enforced by the printer hardware. No trick of software in the printing application can get around it.

People who don't want to print borderless resort to tricks like taping a specifically measured leading edge strip onto the print paper, so that the non-printing edge falls on this leader strip which later gets taken off. But obviously that doesn't work if you need to batch feed a pack of cards through.

The way to print right to the leading edge -- or any edge, since there are non-printable margins on all sides, with the biggest being on the rear of the sheet -- is to use borderless mode. I'd have to think that's what you did before to get it working...
Royce Howland

by Royce Howland on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:10 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Oh, also some border isn't really "border" it's just uneven paper feed leading to small misalignments in where the paper actually is vs. where the printer thinks it is. That's why borderless mode has a variable setting that controls how much overspray can be dialed in. If paper is less well-aligned you may need more overspray, whereas if it feeds straight & true you may get away with less. Since you do have a white border already built into your card layout you hopefully should need the minimum overspray level.
Royce Howland

10 posts |