All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by Martin 095 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:37 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
I asked this question a while back but was unable to get around to giving this a try at the time.  Since I cannot find my old post, I will ask my questions again.

I would like to print to canvas but have never done this before.  I am using an Epson 4880 printer and PS CS5 fwiw.

1) Is there any consensus as to the best supplier of canvas?  I have read some of Epson's canvas papers are good but are any of the third party providers better (however you define that)?

2) I am likely to stretch this print over a wood frame – what precautions, details, etc should I consider in light of this?

3) Are there any issues I should consider wrt to color when printing to canvas?  Should I expect my workflow for printing to paper yield the same output to canvas?  I guess I want to know if canvas responds to color ink differently (shifts, bleeding, etc) than paper does.

4) Any other advice that could save me time and/or paper?

Thanks for the help and I do apologize for the duplication.
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by dbolt on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:30 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
I'm far from an expert on this subject, but I'll share some thoughts on each of your points.   I have a 3880.

1.  The only canvas I've used is Breathing Color Lyve, so I can't make a comparison as to sources of canvas.  My first few attempts to print on canvas were frustrating - printer rejected the canvas (17x22), either because I had not cut the canvas precisely square or because the thickness and softness of the canvas prevented the printer's pickup mechanism from starting to feed.  Once I taped a 1 inch strip of photo paper to the back of the canvas leaving 1/2 inch protruding beyond the leading edge of the canvas, the printer fed the canvas as expected.  Still, it was essential that the leading edge of the photo paper be square to the edge of the canvas.  Also, remember to add 1/2 inch to the length of your paper size in Photoshop.  Epson will tell you that their canvas is stiffer and will feed better than BC.  

2,  I used Breathing Color's EasyWrappe Pro stretcher bars.  Very easy, quick, and do a nice job.  Cost is about $20 to frame an 12x18.  Can't buy a traditional  frame, matte, backing, and glazing for that price.

3.  I've had no issues with color, but canvas will not capture everything that a high quality regular paper will, but they produce different finished products.

4.  See #1.  The feeding issue is the only problem I've encountered.  

Hope this will be of help.  Give it a try.  I think you will like the result.  I do.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

2 posts |