All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Looks like a very capable Epson P800 competitor...
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/299596 ... -treatment

by John Guastella on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:36 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
I read somewhere that the full set of inks (plus chroma optimizer) for this printer will cost $775: about 60% of the cost of the printer itself. And considering that the price of the printer (currently set at $1300) will probably come down (rebates are inevitable), the percentage cost of the ink will likely be much higher.

Does this make any sense to anyone (other than Canon)?

John

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:42 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
John Guastella wrote:I read somewhere that the full set of inks (plus chroma optimizer) for this printer will cost $775: about 60% of the cost of the printer itself. And considering that the price of the printer (currently set at $1300) will probably come down (rebates are inevitable), the percentage cost of the ink will likely be much higher.

Does this make any sense to anyone (other than Canon)?

John
For most higher end ink jet printers, the profit for the company is not in the printer itself but in the ink and paper they sell afterward.  There is essentially zero and in some cases negative margin on most printers but the margin on consumable supplies is close to 100%.

by lelouarn on Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:26 pm
lelouarn
Forum Contributor
Unfortunately, the Canon doesn't do roll printing like the SC-800 (with optional accessory). This is not good for me, since I like to print panoramas...

4 posts |