Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by MarkoPolo on Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:36 pm
MarkoPolo
Forum Contributor
Not sure if this question should be here or in Digital Topics forum.
At any rate, I want to take a portrait oriented shot of a tree and crop in in to exact thirds or fourths to to "stack" landscape shots and make a triptych or "quadtych".
In Lightroom, I don't see any way to make the crops in a precise way. The best I can do is guess.
Is there a way to add a ruler to the image to make these crops more precise? I see how to add overlays of different crop ratios but these have no measurement ability. I feel I must be missing something simple here, but could not find anything in Martin Evening's Lightroom 5 book.
Thanks 
Mark Brown

by MarkoPolo on Fri May 01, 2015 11:08 am
MarkoPolo
Forum Contributor
My solution was to print a 8.5" by 11" of the tree, measure it in millimeters, divide by four and make line across that, then make four virtual copies and crop each to one quarter of the original image as I could. Not precise, but should work fine.
Mark Brown

by Steven Major on Fri May 01, 2015 2:33 pm
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
Interesting, an very old new sounding word for an ancient practice.
Many would think 3 or 5 panels would look better than 4 (cuz your not dissecting the image at it's middle).

by MarkoPolo on Fri May 01, 2015 4:57 pm
MarkoPolo
Forum Contributor
Thanks Steven,
I first did this with 3 panels and the cut off is in a bad place...where tree trunk exits a cliff face. You don't quite see why the bottom panel is there. With 4 panels the cut points work better for this photo. And it is a way that I can "build" a 50" to 60" print with the limitations of a A3+ printer.
Mark Brown

by Andrew_5488 on Sat May 02, 2015 11:44 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
MarkoPolo wrote:Not sure if this question should be here or in Digital Topics forum.
At any rate, I want to take a portrait oriented shot of a tree and crop in in to exact thirds or fourths to to "stack" landscape shots and make a triptych or "quadtych".
In Lightroom, I don't see any way to make the crops in a precise way. The best I can do is guess.
Is there a way to add a ruler to the image to make these crops more precise?
I'm afraid you'll need to use image editing application like Photoshop or similar.
You can setup precisely crop area but I don't think there's a way to precisely place that crop area and repeat it.

by Primus on Mon May 04, 2015 8:51 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
If you have Nik software, there is an option called 'multilens' in the 'Analog Effects 2" module that will allow you to create the effect that I think you are looking for. It is particularly interesting because you can zoom in or out within each segment and thus rearrange the images in any order you like. You can change the color or size of the borders between the segments.  It is actually quite a powerful tool, one that I haven't found anywhere else.

Here is an example of an image with horses: http://www.lifepix.pro/img/s1/v48/p459295407-4.jpg

Pradeep

by Mark Picard on Wed May 06, 2015 1:54 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
MarkoPolo wrote:Not sure if this question should be here or in Digital Topics forum.
Is there a way to add a ruler to the image to make these crops more precise? I see how to add overlays of different crop ratios but these have no measurement ability. I feel I must be missing something simple here, but could not find anything in Martin Evening's Lightroom 5 book.
Thanks 
Check out Perfect Resize Pro.  It does that with a process called "Tiling".
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

7 posts |