All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Martin 095 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:17 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
I am trying to print a panorama that measures 7.5 x 33 inches on my Epson 4880 printer.  I am using a Mac, running OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

I have the settings correct (at least they appear to correct) since the preview in the print dialog box shows my image centered on 16 in roll paper.  However, when the printer starts printing, the image appears at the very top of the paper, not centered on the page.  Here is a screen shot of my setup for printing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I haven't printed on roll paper this large before and I always find Epson print drivers to be counterintuitive ... or maybe it is just me.

One other thing – I had to create a custom size for the printer (16 x 36).  Could this be the source of the error?  I have tried in the past to print to smaller roll paper (by selecting the appropriate size for the roll, ie, the width was not specified) but that never worked.  
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by bryantjl on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:49 pm
bryantjl
Forum Contributor
You seem to have it set for portrait printing instead of landscape orientation.

by Martin 095 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:11 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Hi John

Thanks for the suggestion, but I had tried that and that did not fix the problem.
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by Martin 095 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:29 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
I corrected the problem – when I set up my custom paper setting, I set up the width and height incorrectly. Switching the two fixed this – John if that is what you were suggesting, my apologies for my earlier post. Thanks again for the help.
Best wishes,

Martin

by Royce Howland on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:28 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Yes, good catch. That's what I would have suggested. You can see from the preview screen shot above that Photoshop thinks the page is 36 inches wide, and the Photoshop size parameters are set to a width of 33 inches. Clearly this isn't possible on a 17" wide printer. So the size dimensions needed to be reversed.

Photoshop is about the least sophisticated printing engine usable, so it won't raise any issues trying to print on a mis-set configuration like this. It'll go ahead and try to render some image data down to the print driver; between the two of them they'll attempt to do something, but it will be the wrong thing.
Royce Howland

by Mark Picard on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:23 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Just curious - are you using Epson roll paper for your pano? I'm only asking because Epson makes 10" (and 13") rolls of paper too, so you wouldn't waste paper like you do using the 16" paper. Plus, the Epson 10" rolls are cheap! But I understand if you don't print much small (height) prints, there's no sense in buying another roll.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

6 posts |